Swiss Chard with black eyed peas. Now, black eyed peas are beans, not "peas", but bean or pea, they are legumes regardless. One of my favorite legumes to be exact! I did keep more of the Southern tradition in here than you think.
WASH THE SWISS CHARD, trim away tough stems, and chop the leaves into bite-size pieces. Here is another wonderful vegetarian dish that uses only a few simple and healthy ingredients. Both Swiss chard and black eyed beans are rich in nutrients. You can have Swiss Chard with black eyed peas using 9 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Swiss Chard with black eyed peas
- Prepare 3 of small bunches of swiss chard. ( almost 5 cups of minced swiss.
- It’s 1 cup of black eyed peas.
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Prepare 8 of garlic gloves (minced).
- Prepare 2 of diced onions.
- Prepare to taste of Salt.
- It’s 1 tsp of chilli powder (optional).
- You need 1 bunch of green fresh coriander.
- Prepare of juice of one lemon.
Check often and add more water if needed. Omit Swiss Chard and cook just the black-eyed peas Substitute. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce the heat to a. Pumpkin, Black-Eyed Pea, + Coc. click here to see more like this.
Swiss Chard with black eyed peas instructions
- Wash the swiss chard very well, and drain it..
- Chop the stalks and the leaves into thin slices..
- In a pot boil the swiss chard till it becomes tender..
- Remove it from the heat, and drain it..
- Boil the black eyed peas in water (soaked overnight)..
- In a large pot, heat the oil and fry the onion till it becomes translucent..
- Add the garlic, chilli powder (if used), and chopped green coriander..
- After it is well cooked, keep aside quarter of the quantity to add it later for garnishing..
- Add the chard and the beans to the pot and around one cup of water.
- Simmer gently until the chard has wilted and softened..
- Put the garnish on top of the plate and serve it with lemon and pita bread..
- Notes: usually we cook the white swiss chard * the traditional way is to separate stalks from the leaves and cut each separately then boil the stalks till tender and add back to the stew. * You may first boil the black eyed peas until it is half cooked, then add the chard and boil it all together in the same pot. * don't turn off the stove until the water is fully evaporated..
- Made by: Samah Baroudi.
The Best Vegan Swiss Chard Recipes on Yummly Black Eyed Pea Curry with Swiss Chard & Roasted EggplantStrength And Sunshine. The black-eyed pea, black-eyed bean, or goat pea is a legume grown around the world for its medium-sized, edible bean. Its other common name is cowpea, although it is actually a subspecies of the cowpea. Put the black eyed peas and chickpeas separately in a bowl filled with water and soak them overnight.