Cheddar Onion and Leek Soup. This post may contain affiliate links. Reviews for: Photos of Cheddar and Onion Soup Chicken. However it is VERY oniony; I made it for dinner and was still tasting onion at lunch the next day.
A lovely way to warm up on a cold winter day. Leeks are great in this soup as well. I used what I had on hand – a large red onion, one Spanish onion, a couple of yellow ones and a bunch of green onions. You can cook Cheddar Onion and Leek Soup using 8 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cheddar Onion and Leek Soup
- It’s 1 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.
- It’s 2 of large white onions.
- You need 2 of leeks.
- It’s 3/4 quart of beef broth.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ground sage.
- You need To taste of salt and ground black pepper.
- You need 2/3 stick of butter salted.
- You need 1 cup of shredded cheddar Monterey jack cheese.
This classic soup is made with plenty of caramelized onions and comes complete with a thick piece of toasted bread loaded with creamy Gruyere cheese. US cheddar is nothing like it. Think parmesan (parmigiano reggiano for example) only milder and it melts just as well as mozzarella. Trader Joes has amazing affordable English cheddar.
Cheddar Onion and Leek Soup step by step
- Wash the leeks very well. Slice in half. Use all the white part, and the tender green part. Just make sure you rinse the leeks properly. Slice them thinly on a bias..
- Peel and slice the onion. Heat the butter and add the leeks and onions..
- Add the seasonings mix and sauté for 10 minutes.Then add the broth..
- Bring to a boil. Boil 15 minutes then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 30 minutes covered..
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese with Monterey jack. I hope you enjoy.
Leeks left out in the cold all winter become sweeter and more tender when eaten in the spring—like in this hearty French-style leek onion soup. Cut the onions into thin strips by slicing with the grain of the onion. I don't like overly long, stringy pieces of onion in my soup, so if I'm working with one. The Best Chinese Onion Soup Recipes on Yummly This cauliflower and leek soup is a healthy, yet extremely hearty and tasty, twist on the more common potato and cheddar soup that's often loaded with bacon.