Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup. Embrace The Cheesiness Of Velveeta Recipes! Buy Groceries at Amazon & Save. In a dutch oven or stock pot, melt butter over medium heat and add diced onion.
My version is a lightened up made with less cheese, less butter and less cream. The cauliflower helps to thicken the soup without needing to add extra cream. I say the more veggies, the better, don't you? You can have Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup using 11 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
- You need 5 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic.
- You need 4 cups of broccoli.
- It’s 1 cup of cauliflower.
- It’s 2 stalks of celery.
- You need 1 of large carrot.
- Prepare 3 cups of chicken or vegetable broth.
- It’s 2 cups of half and half.
- You need 1/4 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese.
Add the cream and cheddar to the soup and stir well to combine. Serve with additional grated cheddar and crumbled bacon, if desired. Chop cheese into blender, add milk. Ladle in a small amount of vegetable broth.
Broccoli and Cauliflower Cheddar Soup instructions
- Dice the onion, mince the garlic, and chop up the rest of the vegetables. Carrots and celery should be chopped into smaller chunks, while broccoli and cauliflower can be in medium to large chunks..
- Prepare a pot to steam the broccoli, cauliflower, celery, and carrot. Fill the pot with 1-2 inches of water and bring to a boil. Then place vegetables in steamer for about 7 minutes until soft..
- Melt butter in a pot at medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cook until tender (5-7 minutes)..
- Turn down heat slightly (to medium-low) and gradually whisk flour into the pot with the onion and garlic. Cook for about 3-4 minutes, until the mixture becomes slightly golden..
- Gradually add half and half and chicken broth, stirring all the while. Add some salt and pepper to taste at this point. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered until it thickens (about 20 minutes)..
- Add the steamed vegetables and cook (still at medium-low heat) for another 10-15 minutes..
- If you want to purée the soup, let it COOL DOWN to near room temp, then put in a blender on purée mode. You may have to work in batches. If soup is still steaming a little, REMOVE the middle piece in the top of the blender cover so the steam can escape. Have a clean dish towel or paper towel to hover over the opening to minimize any mess. Combine puréed batches back into pot and warm it back up to then continue with step 8..
- Add cheese to the soup (handful at a time) and stir until melted..
The potato and cauliflower mixture somewhat "melts" into the rest of this broccoli cheese soup recipe. It adds natural thickening power, extra flavor, and good-for-you nutrients…in a super secretive way. Separate broccoli and cauliflower florets on two sheet pans. Drizzle both pans with two tablespoons of olive oil each and season with a generous pinch of kosher salt. Remove and set a quarter of both the broccoli and cauliflower off to the side.