Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup. This cheesy broccoli cheddar soup is proof that soup doesn't need to be made in big batches to be good. —Cheryl McRae, West Valley, Utah. Curdling in a cream soup usually occurs when the milk or cream is added at too high of a heat. As you incorporate the milk and broth into the cooked.
It was definitely a delicious and thick. Broccoli Cheddar Soup is pretty much exactly what it sounds like: a soup of pureed broccoli and broth with cheese. Although it's pureed, it does still have some texture in it from small bits of broccoli, which is very welcome. You can have Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Prepare 2 ounces of butter.
- You need 3 ounces of flour by weight- about 3/4 of a cup.
- Prepare 14 ounces of broccoli (stalk and all) — rough chopped- thinner the cut the quicker it cooks.
- You need 3 cloves of garlic — finely chopped.
- You need 1/2 of each onion — small diced.
- You need 1 quart of chicken stock.
- You need 1/4 teaspoon of thyme.
- You need 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of pepper.
- It’s 1 cup of milk,.
- Prepare 1 1/4 cups of cheddar cheese — shredded.
There are a few keys to making this soup really special One of my favorite cream soups is cream of broccoli. Broccoli works perfect in soup, because it is a mild flavor that does not dominate. Adding some grated cheddar is critical. I think cheese makes almost anything better.
Cream of Broccoli Cheddar Soup step by step
- In a 4 quart sauce pan melt the butter and add the flour, for 2 minutes cook stirring over a low to moderate heat this is a white roux.
- Incorporate the stock and milk to roux using a whisk for one minute..
- Add the seasoning, broccoli, onions and garlic and cook for 20-25 minutes until tender.
- Puree with hand blender, food processor or blender,start off slow so that you do not burn yourself.
- Return the soup to the stove and bring to a simmer and add cheese until melted turn off the burner and serve.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed. If it seems thick add a little chicken stock or milk to thin out.
- My students think bacon and cheese go great with this as a garnish:).
This is amazing before a meal or serve it with a salad, bun or garlic bread and it. And our triple-tested take on cream of broccoli soup (without cream!) is sure to warm you up. PURÉE soup with an immersion blender until smooth. Return pot to heat, reduced to low, and stir in cheddar. Ladle cream of broccoli soup into bowls and top with additional cheese and cayenne.