Cheddar and Bacon Scones. We usually think of scones as sweet, not savory. But these rich, tender scones are packed with chunks of cheddar cheese and diced bacon, and accented with fresh chives. These sunny bacon cheddar scones + a cold glass of orange juice. ?
Odds are you've had a scone Scones shouldn't be limited to dried cranberries, orange zest, and cinnamon. These have got crisp bacon, scallions, and cheddar cheese in them. Bacon and Cheddar Scones totally personified Sunday morning this week. You can cook Cheddar and Bacon Scones using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Cheddar and Bacon Scones
- You need 2 1/2 cups of flour.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Granulated Sugar.
- It’s 6 slices of bacon chopped.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder.
- You need 1/4 tsp of baking soda.
- You need 1 1/4 cup of extra sharp cheddar cheese.
- You need 8 Tbsp of cold unsalted butter.
- It’s 1/2 cup of heavy Cream.
- It’s 1 of egg.
- You need 1/4 cup of chopped green onions.
- You need of Egg wash – one egg beaten with a touch of water.
Savory, crunchy, just a little bit sinful and indulgent – they are perfect for sharing with family and friends on a lazy weekend day. Cut the scones into desired shape and place them on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg wash and remaining cheddar. Those are a few of my favorite ingredients and each one of them is hidden away inside these delightful little scones. These cheddar and bacon scones are a savoury twist on a breakfast favourite.
Cheddar and Bacon Scones step by step
- Cook the bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crispy, use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon on to a plate and allow to cool completely. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper..
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, black pepper and salt, mix just to combine. Add the cold butter and one cup of the cheddar and mix it just until the butter has broken up a bit and is distributed evenly throughout the dry ingredients..
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, cream, add it to the dry mixture and mix until the dough comes together. Stir in the cooked and crispy bacon along with the green onions and make sure they are both evenly distributed..
- Dump it onto a floured board and shape into a circle or a rectangle that’s about 3/4 inch thick. Cut the scones into desired shape and place them on the parchment paper lined baking sheet and brush the tops with the egg wash and remaining cheddar. Bake for 17 to 18 minutes or until golden brown, let them cool completely..
They're also great for school lunch boxes! Use frozen butter to make these scones exceptionally flaky. Individually wrapped sticks of butter store well in the freezer and grate easily. Bacon Bacon Bacon Bacon. and more Bacon! Today I'M going to show you how to make one of my favorites, bacon cheddar scones… Scones are what I call a glorified biscuit because they both use the same ingredients….