French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons. French Onion Soup is a deeply flavorful blend of onions caramelized in butter and slow simmered in a rich medley of beef broth and white wine, then finished with a splash of Cognac and topped with toasted croutons and bubbly Gruyere cheese. I've adapted this French Onion Soup recipe from Julia Child's. I don't make onion soup at home partly because I lack the flameproof bowls that chefs run under the broiler to melt the cheese.
Slice the Brie into fairly thin slices (work quickly so it doesn't start to melt) and lay them on. Top each serving of soup with a Parmesan crouton. French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world. You can cook French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons
- You need 4 large of Yellow onions, finely sliced.
- Prepare 4 of Red onions, finely sliced.
- Prepare 1 of Leek, finely sliced and washed.
- It’s 5 clove of Garlic, minced.
- Prepare 40 grams of Butter.
- It’s 2 tbsp of Olive oil.
- It’s 1 of Dried bay leaf.
- You need 1 of bouquet garni of parsley, thyme and oregano.
- You need 1 3/4 of Litre, good quality chicken stock.
- Prepare 1 cup of Red wine.
- It’s 1 of Splash of cider vinegar.
- Prepare 1 of Grated cheddar & Parmesan to serve.
- You need 1 of Salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare 1 of French stick, sliced thickly diagonally.
- Prepare 1 of Grated cheddar and Parmesan.
And yet, the soup itself is made with very few core ingredients It's so much easier to do the cheesy croutons your way. French Onion Soup is a classic soup recipe for good reason! Of course the best part of any french onion soup is the crusty bread crouton topped with gruyere or swiss cheese There are no hard and fast rules for a cheese option; many people use a combination of mozzarella and parmesan cheese. French onion soup with croutons and melted cheddar cheese French Onion Soup Close up with Chives.
French Onion Soup with Parmesan/Cheddar Croutons step by step
- Slice all onions and leeks..
- Heat a large heavy base melt butter and add olive oil- high heat. Add onions and leek. You want to sweat down onions slowly for around and hour. Stir occasionally, and return lid so that it 3/4 covers pot- allowing steam to escape..
- You will have to turn temp down whilst cooking onions, you don't want to burn or over do them. Meanwhile, gather herbs and tie together with string to make bouquet garni..
- Deglaze pot with wine and vinegar. Add stock and herbs. Bring to the boil- reduce heat and simmer for a further 1/2 hour. Check and adjust seasoning if needed..
- Now to get croutons ready. Heat oven to 160*C. Slice French stick. Grate cheddar and Parmesan over bread. Grate extra cheese to add to soup..
- Bake until golden brown an cheese has melted. Remove and set aside..
- Serve soup in a bowl with a sprinkle of cheese and top with croutons. Yum!.
Classic French onion soup loaded with caramelized onion, beef broth, and topped with gooey cheese, This DELICIOUS and Tasty dish is a crowd pleaser and is made in the pressure cooker to save you time! I've been craving caramelized onions lately and I couldn't think of a better way to enjoy them. French Onion Soup is easier than you think to make at home so you can cuddle up with a big bowl of hot, herby beef broth loaded with deeply flavorful caramelized onions and ooey gooey Gruyere croutons any night of the week! I've included detailed instructions, tips for perfect caramelized. Learn how to make French onion soup with this classic French onion soup recipe!