Potato-Apple Cheddar Pancakes. These potato pancakes include shredded apples and green onions for a new twist to the traditional recipe. This was my grandpa's favorite recipe to make on St. Patrick's Day morning – I can smell the aroma of cooking pancakes just talking about them!
F&W's Kay Chun adds tart Granny Smith apple and fresh dill to her crisp potato pancakes, which she serves plain or topped with smoked salmon. I am not one to resist potatoes, especially when they call out my name. So yesterday, I mixed up a batch of these Savory Apple Potato Pancakes with some thyme and green chilies. You can cook Potato-Apple Cheddar Pancakes using 12 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Potato-Apple Cheddar Pancakes
- Prepare 2 of large potatoes (or 3 medium will do).
- It’s 2 of apples ( I used Fuji for this recipe; use any type. Granny Smith, Red delicious etc.).
- Prepare 4 of eggs.
- You need 4 of green onion scallions chopped thinly.
- It’s 1 cup of shredded cheddar.
- You need 4 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of salt.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- Prepare 1 tsp of white pepper.
- You need 1/2 tsp of cajun seasoning.
- It’s 1 of oil for frying ( olive oil, canola).
- It’s 1 of sour cream for topping.
They were so good, I ate up the first batch hot off the stove, and it took all of my willpower to save some for Jay. Cheddar mashed potato pancakes are the perfect comfort food or side dish to a hearty meat. It's important not to crowd the pan because it will be difficult to get the pancakes out without smashing them. These pancakes are chock full of various textures, thanks to the mixture of shredded cauliflower, sweet potato chunks and the melted cheese.
Potato-Apple Cheddar Pancakes instructions
- Fill a large mixing bowl with cold water. Peel, and then rinse your potatoes. Grate by hand your potatoes; or with your food processor grater. Place grated potatoes immediately into bowl of cold water. Repeat same steps with your 2 apples; peel, grate and place into bowl of cold water with potatoes. So to keep them from browning..
- Drain grated potatoes and apples. Press as much water as you can from mixture. In medium bowl mix grated potatoes/apples, onion, cheese, eggs, flour, salt, white pepper, cayenne and cajun seasoning. Stir to combine..
- Heat about a tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Drop dollops of batter (about 4) into pan. Press down on potato batter to form small pancakes, leave some space between so you can flip them. Fry both sides until a nice golden to medium brown. You may add more oil to pan in between batches if needed..
- If pancakes seem oily place them onto a paper towel..
- Serve pancakes topped with sour cream or a hollandaise sauce..
Note- I tried this recipe out with several cheeses and found full fat cheddar to work best- the taste was not overpowering (like parmesan was) but mellow (unlike. Autumn apple picking yields plenty of harvest for apple potato pancakes ñ warm, crispy treats that are perfect for fall! Potato pancakes are prepared tons of different ways throughout Europe and the Middle East, with German and Polish cuisine most notably pairing them with applesauce or something sweet. Tart Granny Smith apple and fresh dill flavor crisp potato pancakes. Serve them plain or topped with smoked salmon.