Spaetzle with Butter, Fried Onion, and Gruyere Cheese. Spaetzle With Gruyere And Caramelized OnionsI Have Net. Chopped green onion. back to cookbook. Meanwhile, peel the onion, cut into thin rings and cook until golden brown in hot butter.
Spread the spaetzle in the dish and dot with the butter. Käsespätzle (cheese spaetzle) was a favorite dish in our home and we always looked forward to it when my mom would make it. Though Bavarian by birth she spent her later childhood through young adult years in Stuttgart and she'll freely admit that Swabian cuisine is Germany's best. You can cook Spaetzle with Butter, Fried Onion, and Gruyere Cheese using 9 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spaetzle with Butter, Fried Onion, and Gruyere Cheese
- You need 2 cups of flour.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of salt.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg.
- It’s 4 of large eggs.
- It’s 1/2 cup of milk.
- It’s 4 tablespoons of butter.
- Prepare 1 of onion sliced.
- It’s 1 cup of gruyere cheese (or any mountain cheese).
Add spätzle and continue to cook for approx. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Melt, then lower the heat and add the chopped mixed herbs and onion petals. When the butter begins to brown, take the skillet off the heat and toss in the spaetzle.
Spaetzle with Butter, Fried Onion, and Gruyere Cheese step by step
- Mix flour and spices in large bowl..
- Add eggs and milk to flour mixture and mix to combine..
- Let dough rest for 15 min..
- Push scoops of dough through spaetzle tool or large hole of cheese grater into pot of boiling water..
- When spaetzle floats, remove from water and set aside..
- In large pan, heat butter over medium-high heat..
- When butter is hot, add onion slices. Fry until golden brown and crispy..
- Using tongs, remove onions, leaving the butter in the pan..
- Add Spaetzle to butter and cook until browned..
- Remove pan from heat and add cheese. Mix until cheese is completely melted..
- Transfer spaetzle to serving dish and top with fried onions..
Season to taste and serve immediately with the cheese scattered. Five Cheese Gruyere Macaroni and Cheese Recipe And of course this was a crowd-pleaser. Spaetzle with Butter & Herbs popped into my head, and consequently this is what I'm serving you They are also great layered with fried onions and grated chees and tiny bit of caraway in a deep Make your spätzle and throw them immediately in a skillet with butter. Using a wooden spoon, mix flour, eggs, salt and enough water to make a thick viscous batter..you'd have it fried in butter, with a strong cheese like Gruyere and apple sauce (yes, you heard it right).