Chicken Breast in Creamy Mushroom Sauce. Chicken Breasts with Mushroom Cream Sauce is an excellent go to if you are entertaining or want to prepare a meal for a special occasion. While the cream and cognac are a bit indulgent, this recipe is not as fancy as it seems. Remove the bay leaf, then season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
In this homemade cream of mushroom chicken recipe, pan fried chicken breasts are cooked to golden-brown perfection and cloaked in the creamiest, easiest white wine, lemon, and thyme mushroom sauce with a hint of cream. Pan Fried Chicken with Mushroom Sauce. They can easily become the same-old, same-old. You can have Chicken Breast in Creamy Mushroom Sauce using 13 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken Breast in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- You need 3 tbsp of olive oil – divided.
- Prepare 3 large of boneless skinless chicken breasts, about 2.5lbs – butterflied and split to make 6 thin halves.
- You need 1/2 small of yellow onion – finely diced.
- You need 8 oz of white button mushrooms – cleaned and sliced (shortcut, buy pre-sliced).
- You need 1 clove of garlic – minced.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of dried thyme.
- You need 1 1/4 cup of unsalted or low sodium beef broth or stock.
- It’s 2 tsp of balsamic vinegar.
- Prepare 2/3 cup of heavy cream.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of fresh grated parmigiano reggiano (just parmesan is fine, but use fresh grated for best texture).
- You need of sea salt and black pepper.
- It’s of garlic powder.
- Prepare of onion powder.
The creamy mushroom sauce is what really makes this chicken dish. It starts out with caramelizing onions and mushrooms, then adding heavy cream, chicken broth, dijon mustard, and Worcestershire. Finally, you add the pan seared chicken breast back in all this creamy goodness , and it's ready to serve with a little garnish of fresh parsley and. This easy chicken dinner is made with sautéed garlic and mushrooms and topped with a creamy sauce.
Chicken Breast in Creamy Mushroom Sauce step by step
- First thing, prep your onions, mushrooms and garlic. Set aside. To split chicken breasts: lay breast flat on clean cutting board, find the halfway point between top and bottom. Using a very sharp knife, carefully cut horizontally through the breast as if you would a butterfly cut. Instead of stopping when you reach the other side, finish cutting all the way through to completely split top and bottom. Repeat with remaining breasts so you have 6 thin breast pieces..
- Season both sides of breast pieces with desired amounts of salt, pepper, garlic and onion powders. Heat a large, deep sided saute pan over medium heat. When hot (a drop of water "sizzles") add 2 tbs olive oil and swirl to coat..
- Add chicken breasts to hot pan, arranged so they will all fit flat but not overlapping. Cook On the first side, untouched, for 5 minutes to get a nice, browned sear. When first side is done breasts will "release" from the pan easily..
- Flip each breast to sear second side and finish cooking, about 5 minutes more, again untouched for best sear. Remove to plate, tent with foil to keep warm and set aside..
- Add onion to hot pan and cook until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms, sprinkle minced garlic, thyme and a pinch of s&p on top, then drizzle with remaining 1tbs olive oil. Stir to combine everything..
- Cook until mushrooms begin to exude their juices and shrink down, stirring frequently and scraping up brown bits that have been stuck to pan. About 5 – 7 minutes more..
- Add beef broth. Increase heat to medium high to bring to a boil until broth has reduced slightly (not quite by half) about 5 – 7 minutes again. No need to stir more than a couple times here..
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add balsamic vinegar and heavy cream. Stir to incorporate fully. Simmer some more until sauce begins to thicken. Again, this took about 5 minutes for me..
- Stir in freshly grated cheese until melted into sauce, this will also help thicken some more. Return chicken breasts to pan, turn to coat in sauce. Turn heat to low, cover and let sit 5 minutes to warm chicken through..
- Serve with sauce drizzled on top and a crisp side salad for a lower carb option, or any other desired sides. Enjoy!.
I used chicken breasts for this recipe, but chicken thighs would be delicious too! I am making this one skillet chicken dinner smothered in garlic and mushroom cream sauce on repeat this year. First, season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken in a skillet on both sides until it gets that dark golden color. This creamy chicken and mushroom dinner for two is really satisfying, but surprisingly low in calories.