Butter Chickpea Curry. Place potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over high heat; simmer until the potatoes are tender. Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. This is the most delicious Indian dish I have made at home yet.
The origin of butter chicken aka murgh makhani is indeed in India, unlike the other popular curry Tikka Masala, which was invented in Britain. The famous curry came to be out of a need to use up leftover chicken. So grilled tandoori chicken got mixed with some tomato curry, butter and cream and a star was born. You can have Butter Chickpea Curry using 17 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Butter Chickpea Curry
- You need 4 tablespoons of butter, divided.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, finely chopped.
- It’s 3 cloves of garlic, minced or presses.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of freshly grated ginger.
- You need 2 tablespoons of garam masala powder (a little less if you use the paste).
- It’s 2 teaspoons of mild curry powder.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of turmeric.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (adjust to taste).
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 170 g of tomato paste.
- Prepare 1 can (400 g) of diced tomatoes.
- Prepare 1 can (400 g) of full fat coconut milk.
- You need 3 cans (440 g) of chickpeas, drained and rinsed.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
- It’s 4 tablespoons of heavy cream.
- It’s of Chopped cilantro or parsley as garnish.
This Easy Chickpea Curry uses the peanut butter or almond butter sauce with Indian spices, Turmeric, red bell pepper, carrots, summer squash. Blend onion garlic ginger and cook to roast. Fold in the spices and turmeric. Add the veggies, chickpeas, nut butter and broth and simmer until all the flavors come together.
Butter Chickpea Curry step by step
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, a pinch of salt and sauté for about 5 minutes, until translucent, stirring once in a while..
- Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add ginger and all the spices and sauté for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add tomato paste and give a good stir..
- Add the can of diced tomatoes, fill the can 3/4 full with water and add to the pan..
- Bring to a low simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring every now and then. Remove from the heat, add coconut milk. Transfer to a pot and purée with an immersion blender until smooth and creamy..
- Return the pot to heat, add chickpeas and give a good stir. Cover and gently simmer for about 20-25 minutes, stirring every now and then..
- In a small bowl whisk cornstarch and (cold) heavy cream. (If the cornstarch doesn’t dissolve well, add a tiny bit of cold water). Add the slurry and the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and simmer for further 5 minutes stirring carefully, until the sauce starts to thicken..
- Take a taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Sprinkle with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley and serve with rice and/or boiled potatoes..
This Healthy Butter Chickpeas dish is a lightened-up, vegan and gluten free take on a classic Indian-style dish. You won't miss the chicken here, this homemade dairy free curry is rich, creamy and satisfying made with coconut milk, tomatoes, chickpeas and a secret ingredient – almond butter! This healthy recipe is quick and easy to make for the perfect weeknight dinner any night of the week. Well this instant pot butter chickpea curry recipe has all the butter chicken flavor minus the actual chicken! WHY IS IT CALLED BUTTER CHICKEN.