Chile Relleno Soup. Chile relleno soup but done french onion style? Well basically, he wanted the cheesy, crusty topping. And the taste of pure chile relleno.
The added chicken in this soup goes great with the spicy poblano chiles. It's a delicious Mexican dish that consists of a roasted poblano pepper stuffed with cheese, dipped in an egg batter, and fried. If green chile is a huge part of your life, like most New Mexicans, then you'll love this soup variation that includes a little chile relleno action. You can cook Chile Relleno Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chile Relleno Soup
- Prepare 5 of poblano peppers.
- You need 1 of small onion.
- It’s 1 1/2 of lbs. chicken breast, or 3 breasts.
- Prepare 2 of gloves garlic.
- Prepare 1 pkg. of cream cheese.
- It’s 1 tsp. of cumin.
- It’s 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping.
- Prepare 4 cups of chicken broth.
- It’s 1/2 tsp. of ground red pepper.
- You need 1 tsp. of chili powder.
- You need to taste of salt and pepper.
Now that the weather is cooling off, you'll want to fill your. The chile relleno is a dish in Mexican cuisine that originated in the city of Puebla. In Mexico, it consists of a stuffed, roasted, fresh poblano pepper. Chiles rellenos, that classic Mexican dish of cheese-stuffed fried peppers, is made from scratch in this recipe.
Chile Relleno Soup instructions
- Begin by placing peppers on a baking sheet and roasting under broiler in oven on high. Keep an eye on these so they don't burn. You want to rotate a couple of times to give all sides a nice char..
- Once charred, place peppers in a bowl and cover. Allow them to cool. Once cooled, remove skins (as much as possible) by rubbing it off peppers. Remove seeds and place strips of peppers on cutting board to dice up..
- Chop the peppers and onions and have ready for next step. Chop garlic if using fresh. I opted for a jar of preminced garlic. 1 tsp is equivalent to 1 clove..
- Cut chicken into bite size chunks and begin to cook in a little olive oil. Season chicken with cumin, red pepper, chili powder and salt and pepper..
- Once chicken is half cooked, throw in your garlic, onion and peppers. Continue to sauté until chicken is thoroughly cooked..
- Add in chicken broth and bring to a boil..
- Reduce heat to medium low and add in cream cheese (cut into cubes) and 2 cups cheddar cheese..
- Continue stirring softly until all cheeses have fully melted..
- This step is optional but believe me its worth it! Place soup into oven safe glass bowls. Top with cheese and place under broiler in oven until cheese is melted and bubbly. Once again, do not take your eyes off it as they will burn quickly. Enjoy!.
Make the stuffed peppers ahead of time and freeze; then take out and fry another day to make. Chiles Rellenos REcipe Video – scroll down for the recipe card! I was talking to my friend Estrella the other day and remembering the first time we made chiles rellenos together. Try this Chile Relleno Chicken Soup recipe, or contribute your own. Chile rellenos are a go-to for us when we're getting Mexican food, but can be a little bit involved when you're making them at home.