Mike's Green Chile Cheeseburgers. Iconic Owl Cafe comes in second. One of the most famous burgers in America is the New Mexico green chile cheeseburger. New Mexico didn't invent the burger, but they did improve it by adding whole or chopped green chiles to a traditional cheeseburger, putting this sandwich on the map.
A Green Chile Cheeseburger Trail spans the state, Food Network regularly films segments that focus on this adored food, and restaurants vie to win green chile cheeseburger titles. This list, not ranked in any particular order. In Texas, green chile cheeseburgers are served in many places, especially this time of year when the fresh chiles are at their peak. You can have Mike's Green Chile Cheeseburgers using 18 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mike's Green Chile Cheeseburgers
- You need 2 lb of 80/20 Hamburger Meat.
- Prepare 16 of Hatch Green Roasted Chili's.
- It’s 2 large of White Onions.
- You need 1 large of Firm Tomato.
- Prepare 1 packages of American Or Cheddar Cheese.
- It’s 1/3 of Shredded Head Lettuce.
- You need 1 of Bottle Yellow Mustard.
- Prepare 1 of Bucket Mushrooms (sliced).
- It’s 1 packages of Lipton Onion Mix.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Black Pepper.
- You need 3 clove of Garlic (chopped).
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Cumin.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 4 large of Onion Rolls.
- It’s 1 of Sprinkle Garlic & Onion Powder.
- You need 1/3 cup of Fresh Cilantro [for garnish].
- It’s 4 of Separate Roasted Hatch Green Chilis (chopped).
- Prepare 1/3 stick of Butter.
Texans, of course, love heat so it only seems natural we would enjoy a juicy burger topped with peppers. But as much as Texans enjoy spicy food. Grilled southwest cheeseburgers topped with a green chili mixture and pepper jack cheese. Give your cheeseburger a little green, and we ain't talkin' lettuce.
Mike's Green Chile Cheeseburgers instructions
- Slice tomatoes and lettuce..
- Chop 16 chiles, or leave whole, onions, garlic and mushrooms and fry in pan with oil. Or you can leave your onions raw if you prefer..
- Mix hamburger meat with all other ingredients including 4 additional green chopped chiles. Create 4 large patties. Fry until thoroughly cooked. Place cheese on patties after fully cooked and cover for 1 minute..
- Smear bread with butter sprinkled with onion and garlic powder and slightly sear in pan or grill..
- Serve with shreaded lettuce, tomatoes and mustard along with your onion, fresh cilantro, mushroom and green chile topping..
Add some heat to your beef and top your burgers with green chiles and melted pepper jack cheese. Pretty decent GCCB at the recently re-opened Hotel Schaffer in Mountainair. It looks like there is not much chile but it was just piled up and needed to be spread Beans were good too! Only complaint – I like my chile hotter than this was. Seems like almost everywhere I go, the chile is getting milder.