Mike's Sour Cream & Chives Mashed Spuds. Its name comes from the production of lactic acid by. Most grocery store sour cream isn't really sour cream at all. It's often just milk that's been artificially thickened and flavored to taste like sour cream.
This mixture, allowed to sit at room temperature overnight, will thicken and become perfect as an ingredient in your favorite dip. Sour cream is the delicious base for a variety of dips and sauces, and making your own couldn't be easier. Sour cream makes a great addition to baked goods, thanks to its creamy mouthfeel and pleasant acidity. You can cook Mike's Sour Cream & Chives Mashed Spuds using 11 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Mike's Sour Cream & Chives Mashed Spuds
- Prepare of Sour Cream & Chives Mashed Potatoes.
- You need 2 1/2 lb of Idaho Potatoes [peeled-1" cubes].
- Prepare 1 1/2 tbsp of Salt [or more – for potato water].
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Whole Milk.
- You need 1/2 cup of Sour Cream.
- It’s 3 tbsp of Quality Salted Butter.
- You need 1/3 cup of Chives [fine chop].
- Prepare of Black Or White Pepper [use caution with white].
- You need of Kitchen Equipment.
- Prepare 1 of Potato Masher.
- Prepare 1 large of Large Boiling Pot [with lid].
Adding this tangy ingredient to cakes, muffins, and bread loaves will result in moister baked goods than those made with milk. In a pinch, sour cream can also act as a replacement for other high-fat ingredients like heavy cream, yogurt, and even whole milk during the baking process. My sour cream with vinegar is not sour or too sour. As the bacteria multiply the sour cream becomes sourer.
Mike's Sour Cream & Chives Mashed Spuds instructions
- Boil enough water to cover your potatoes by 1" + with salt included. Your water should taste salty. Boil potatoes for 6 – 8 minutes or until a knife can easily slide through them. Don't over boil [make watery/mushy] your spuds or you will end up with watery potatoes you will not be able to salvage. Just keep checking them..
- While your spuds are boiling, warm your milk, butter, sour cream and pepper on the stove or in the microwave. Do not boil or overheat. Your milk and butter will foam over quickly if you do causing you to start over..
- ° Drain your potatoes in a strainer and immediately place them back into your heated pot and light your flame again on medium. ° By hand, mash your potatoes with a kitchen masher and scrape the bottom of the pot as you do. Scrape until you see less and less steam coming from the base of the pot. ° Both of these last two steps are VERY important as they will #1: Burn off any excess water from your salt water boil leaving your spuds thicker & creamier. And, #2: Leave a few scattered lumps in your mashed potatoes. Don't be misled folks, a few lumps are universal indicators of, "homemade & hand mashed!".
- ° With flame still lit but lowered, add 1/2 of your milk/butter/sour cream/pepper mixture and continue to mix with your potato masher. Slowly add the other half until you've reached your families own desired consistency or viscosity. ° We prefer ours a bit thicker. Especially since these seasoned mashed potatoes aren't served with any gravy, other than butter..
- ° If you'd like your potatoes a bit thinner = add 1 tablespoon additional milk and mix. Repeat if desired. ° If you'd like them a bit creamier = add additional sour cream tablespoon by tablespoon. ° More buttery? Add additional salted butter tablespoon by tablespoon..
- You can add your chives one of two ways. #1: Add chives to your milk/butter/sour cream/pepper mixture when heating it for fullest onion flavor. Or, #2: Add chives after incorporating your milk/butter/sour cream/pepper mixture for that occasional crisp, onion snap. It's your call!.
- Serve alongside just about any main dish. Enjoy!.
The longer the sour cream sits untouched in the warmth the more mature the bacteria so the sourer the sour cream. Then you stir in butter, fresh lemon juice, bits of lemon rind and sour cream. Pour this refreshing filling into a baked pie shell, chill the pie, and garnish it with sprigs of mint and thin slices of lemons. By Michelle Davis; Sour Cream Chicken Quiche. This creamy breakfast quiche is a delightful treat.