New England Clam Chowder. Luckily, one of our favorite New England clam chowder recipes — the one served at the Chatham Fish Pier Market on Cape Cod — is made in just this way. And they were kind enough to share it with us. The recipe starts, as many great ones do, by browning a few slices of bacon over medium-low heat.
Wonderfully creamy New England Clam Chowder is way easier than you think to make at home and about to become a new family favorite! This easy clam chowder recipe has rich flavor for the perfect bowl of comfort! Creamy, hearty New England clam chowder is by far the most popular chowder style (compared to Manhattan or Rhode Island versions). You can cook New England Clam Chowder using 15 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of New England Clam Chowder
- Prepare 4 slices of bacon.
- You need 2 Tbsp of butter.
- It’s 2 of celery ribs.
- It’s 1 of large carrot.
- You need 2 of leeks, white and light green.
- You need 2 of russet potatoes.
- It’s 1 ear of sweet corn.
- Prepare 2 (8 oz) of bottles clam juice.
- You need 3 (6.5 oz) of cans chopped clams.
- Prepare 3 Tbsp of flour.
- Prepare 1 cup of heavy cream.
- It’s 1 tsp of chopped fresh thyme.
- Prepare 2 Tbsp of chopped fresh parsley.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare to taste of black pepper, cayenne pepper and salt.
Many versions use a flour and. Clam chowder is any of several chowder soups in American cuisine containing clams and broth or milk. In addition to clams, common ingredients include diced potatoes, salt pork, onions, and celery. This New England Clam Chowder is the absolute best!
New England Clam Chowder step by step
- Cut root and dark green from leeks. Cut in half lengthwise and thinly slice. Add to large bowl of cold water. Swish around to clean out the dirt and sand. Remove from water with slotted spoon..
- Chop celery and carrot into fine dice. Cut corn from cob. Peel and chop potatoes into small 1/2" dice. Put potatoes in cold water until ready to use..
- Add bacon to pot and cook on med-low until crisp. Remove for later garnish and save drippings in pot..
- To the bacon grease add butter, leeks, carrots and celery. Cook until soft – about 10 minutes..
- Add flour and cook 1-2 minutes. Add clam juice and liquid from strained clams. Turn heat to medium and bring to boil..
- Add potatoes, corn, bay leaves, thyme, parsley, black pepper and cayenne pepper. I did not add salt because the bacon, clam juice and clams had sufficient salt. Taste and add salt if needed..
- When potatoes are fork tender, turn heat back to med-low. Add clams and heavy cream. Heat 5-10 minutes. Remove bay leaves before serving..
- Serve with reserved bacon for garnish. Enjoy!.
This easy clam chowder recipe makes perfect comfort food for a cold night. Made with bacon, plenty of potatoes, and with just the right amount of cream, you will be a chowder master with my instructions for how to make clam chowder. This New England clam chowder is comforting, filling and amazingly delicious! This Thick and Creamy New England Clam Chowder is full of flavor and loaded with tender potatoes, sweet clams, and smoky bacon. So if your a clam chowdah lovah like my family is you definitely need this recipe in.