Creamy New England Clam Chowder. Get Fresh Clam Chowder Shipped To Your Door. Shipped Directly From Maine Add clam juice from both cans. Stir occasionally so potatoes won't stick.
New England clam chowder is an ionic and hearty soup that can be a little intimidating to make at home. Even using fresh clams, this soup is a fun way to enjoy a favorite homemade soup that's creamy, satisfying, and full of amazing flavors!! Bring water to a boil in a large pot. You can cook Creamy New England Clam Chowder using 11 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Creamy New England Clam Chowder
- Prepare 2 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- You need 2 piece of thick cut bacon, finely diced.
- Prepare 1 cup of diced onion.
- It’s 1 clove of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 3 tbsp of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 2 cup of bottled clam juice.
- You need 2 can of minced clams (6 1/2 ounce cans) in juice. Reserve liquid.
- You need 3 of medium potatoes, peeled and diced into medium chunks.
- You need 1/3 cup of heavy cream.
- It’s of kosher salt.
- It’s of ground black pepper.
Transfer clams to a large bowl, reserving cooking liquid. This thick and creamy New England Clam Chowder is hearty, and will stick to your ribs! Perfect for cooler temperatures, and super easy to make. Gorgeously thick and hearty, served with some crusty bread, or some crackers.
Creamy New England Clam Chowder step by step
- Cook the bacon and onion in butter on medium heat until bacon has rendered and onions are translucent and soft..
- Mix in the minced garlic and heat, do not brown garlic, it will taste bitter if you do..
- Whisk in the flour until no longer lumpy and cook a couple of minutes to remove the raw flour taste..
- Strain the clams in a fine mesh strainer over a bowl to reserve the liquid..
- Slowly add the juice from clams, and the 2 cups clam juice to the flour mixture stirring continuously..
- Bring to a boil and whisking until smooth, thickened and creamy. Make sure you scrape the bottom good so it doesn't scorch..
- Add the potatoes, and reduce to a simmer, stirring constantly until temp has come down..
- When simmering, cook until potatoes are tender. When tender, add the clams and heavy cream..
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Can also sprinkle top with chives. It is good and looks pretty if you like. Also parsley is good..
- Serve with oyster crackers, regular crackers or toasted French bread..
This clam chowder recipe is decadent, rich and thick. Tips for making New England Clam Chowder. I like to use a smoky thick cut bacon. I peeled my red potatoes but you can leave the peels on if desired. In a large dutch oven, cook bacon until crisp and fat is rendered.