New England Clam Chowder. Read Customer Reviews & Find Best Sellers. Get Fresh Clam Chowder Shipped To Your Door. Shipped Directly From Maine Place diced bacon in large stock pot over medium-high heat.
The addition of dairy is considered the biggest difference from other chowders. Rinse the clams several times under cold running water. Bring bottled clam juice and potatoes to boil in heavy large saucepan over high heat. You can cook New England Clam Chowder using 15 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of New England Clam Chowder
- You need 8 lb of large cherry stone clams.
- It’s 1 cup of dry white wine.
- It’s 1 cup of water.
- It’s 6 slice of bacon (quartered).
- It’s 3 tbsp of unsalted butter.
- You need 1 of leek.
- It’s 1 of small onion (finely chopped).
- You need 1 cup of finely chopped celery.
- It’s 6 sprigs of fresh thyme.
- It’s 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 3 clove of garlic (finely chopped).
- It’s 3 cup of cubed potatoes.
- Prepare 2 cup of heavy cream.
- You need 1 bunch of chopped parsley.
- You need 1 of butter for garnish.
Heat the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and saute until softened, mixing often. Stir in the flour to distribute evenly. Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water.
New England Clam Chowder step by step
- Bring 1 cup of wine and 1 cup of water to a boil in a large pot. Add clams, cover, and cook for five minutes..
- Lift lid and stir clams, making sure water is still boiling. Cover and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer..
- Stain broth through cheesecloth in a metal sieve. Repeat until all sand is removed (I strained mine twice). Add water to broth so that there is 6 cups of liquid. Set aside for now..
- Remove clams from broth and set aside. Discard any that did not open..
- In large pot, cook bacon until crispy. Drain all but two tablespoons of grease..
- Add butter, onions, leeks, and celery to pot. Cook until onions and celery are translucent, being careful not to brown..
- Add garlic and potatoes and mix well with veggies. Add broth and bring to a boil..
- Simmer contents until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Mash some of the potatoes against the side of the pot for a thicker consistency of broth..
- Add heavy cream and chopped clams to pot, mix well, cover and remove from heat..
- Set aside for an hour or so, this will allow flavors to fuse. Add salt and pepper for more flavor, if necessary..
- Serve with a pat of butter and chopped parsley. Enjoy!.
Especially her New England clam chowder. It is a white chowder like most New England versions, but unlike the chowders in much of Massachusetts, mom's is soupy and brothy, not thick and creamy. Clam Chowder is the ultimate comfort food with tender clams, creamy potatoes and of course salty, smoky bacon!. Wonderfully creamy New England Clam Chowder is way easier than you think to make at home and about to become a new family favorite!. This easy clam chowder recipe has rich flavor for the perfect bowl of comfort!