Oven-Roasted Tandoori-Inspired Jerk Chicken.
You can cook Oven-Roasted Tandoori-Inspired Jerk Chicken using 16 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Oven-Roasted Tandoori-Inspired Jerk Chicken
- It’s 10-12 of bone-in, skin-on chicken drums and/or thighs, scored twice on the skin side, about 1/4" deep, 2 inches long, and about an inch apart.
- You need of For the marinade:.
- It’s 1/4 cup of oil.
- You need 1/2 cup of yogurt.
- You need 1/4 cup of soy sauce.
- Prepare 2 Tablespoons of lime or lemon juice.
- Prepare 5 Tablespoons of dark brown sugar.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.
- You need 2 Tablespoons of dried thyme.
- Prepare 4 teaspoons of ground allspice.
- Prepare 8 cloves of garlic.
- It’s of up to 8 Scotch Bonnet or Habanero chilies.
- Prepare 5 of green onions, cut into 2-inch segments.
- It’s 2 of shallots, coarsely chopped.
- You need 1 of one-inch piece ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped.
- Prepare 1-2 teaspoons of liquid smoke.
Oven-Roasted Tandoori-Inspired Jerk Chicken step by step
- Place all the marinade ingredients in a food processor or blender and process until smooth. If you want to make extra dipping sauce, reserve 2/3 cup of marinade and set aside..
- With cooking gloves on (because of the habaneros), put chicken in a large mixing bowl or other container and pour the remainder of the marinade over it, mixing it gently but thoroughly to evenly season each piece. A gallon Ziploc type bag is great for even marinating – specially if you lay all the meat in a single layer, suction all the air out of it, and lay it on its side in the fridge. Even then, you may wish to flip the bag halfway through the marinating time just to make sure..
- Let chicken marinate for at least 6 and up to 24 hours..
- An hour before cooking, take the chicken out of the fridge and lay it in a single layer on either a sturdy sheet pan (not cookie sheet) with a grill rack over it (my preferred method) or on a broiler pan with slats, skin side up, and let it come up to room temp. I mention this often, but bringing your protein up to room temp results in a better outer sear, which results in more internal juiciness..
- 20 mins before cooking, preheat your oven to 450F. Put the chicken on the center rack of the oven & roast for 45 to 55 mins, depending on the size of your chicken pieces. The chickens I use are usually about 4 pounds, & their drums and thighs aren't all that big, so 45 mins was plenty for me. If you buy drums & thighs in your typical supermarket pre-pack, it's likely that your chicken is bigger and will require somewhere between 50 to 55 minutes..
- IF YOU'RE MAKING THE DIPPING SAUCE… Preheat a small sauce pan to medium with a half Tbsp of oil in it, pour in the reserved marinade, bring to a gentle boil for 1 minute, then turn the heat down to medium low and simmer for another 3 or 4 minutes. Because that marinade hasn't touched chicken, technically you don't have to cook it for food safety purposes, but the caramelization and concentration of flavors that happens when you do this deepens and rounds out the sauce..
- That's it! Enjoy. :).