New England Clam Chowder. Luckily, one of our favorite New England clam chowder recipes — the one served at the Chatham Fish Pier Market on Cape Cod — is made in just this way. And they were kind enough to share it with us. The recipe starts, as many great ones do, by browning a few slices of bacon over medium-low heat.
Clam chowder is any of several chowder soups in American cuisine containing clams and broth or milk. In addition to clams, common ingredients include diced potatoes, salt pork, onions, and celery. Creamy, hearty New England clam chowder is by far the most popular chowder style (compared to Manhattan or Rhode Island versions). You can cook New England Clam Chowder using 15 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of New England Clam Chowder
- It’s 4-6 ounces of bacon, diced.
- You need 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter.
- You need 1 cup of chopped onions.
- You need 4-6 tablespoons of flour.
- Prepare to taste of Fresh ground black pepper.
- Prepare to taste of Thyme.
- Prepare 5 cups of cooked diced potatoes.
- It’s 1 quart of half and half.
- It’s 1 cup of chicken broth (made from knorr homestyle stock).
- Prepare 3 (6 1/2 oz) of cans minced clams or 3 (6 1/2 ounce) cans chopped clams.
- It’s 1 cup of clam juice.
- It’s of Chopped Italian parsley.
- Prepare to taste of Fresh lemon juice.
- Prepare of Hot pepper sauce.
- You need of Salt.
Many versions use a flour and. Wonderfully creamy New England Clam Chowder is way easier than you think to make at home and about to become a new family favorite! This easy clam chowder recipe has rich flavor for the perfect bowl of comfort! This New England Clam Chowder is the absolute best!
New England Clam Chowder step by step
- Fry bacon until crisp.
- Remove bacon, set aside to be used later.
- Add butter to bacon grease, when melted add onions and saute until golden.
- Stir in flour and cook over low heat 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in pepper and thyme.
- Add chicken broth, half and half, and potatoes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. (Be careful and watch that it doesn't cook above a simmer or very long!).
- Add clams, clam juice, parsley; simmer another 5 minutes; stirring occasionally..
- Add lemon juice, pepper sauce, and salt to taste.
- Serve with oyster crackers.
This easy clam chowder recipe makes perfect comfort food for a cold night. Made with bacon, plenty of potatoes, and with just the right amount of cream, you will be a chowder master with my instructions for how to make clam chowder. This New England clam chowder is comforting, filling and amazingly delicious! This Thick and Creamy New England Clam Chowder is full of flavor and loaded with tender potatoes, sweet clams, and smoky bacon. So if your a clam chowdah lovah like my family is you definitely need this recipe in.