Oyster Stew. Discover Our Collection Of Seafood Recipes. Browse Our Collection Of Oyster Stew Recipes. Pour half-and-half into a large pot over medium-high heat.
I make it much the same way, but add diced White Rose potatoes to celery and onion sauteed in butter – no flour roux here. Add milk, cream, oysters,fresh ground pepper and a shot of hot sauce … darn now I'm hungry!. Slowly whisk in warm milk and heavy cream. You can cook Oyster Stew using 12 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Oyster Stew
- You need 4 tablespoons of butter.
- You need 1 of small celery stalk, finely chopped.
- You need 2 of small clove garlic, minced.
- It’s 2 1/3 tablespoon of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 2 cup of milk.
- You need 1/2 cup of cream.
- You need 1 teaspoon of minced shallot.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of minced shallot.
- Prepare 1 pinch of dried parsley.
- It’s 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Prepare 2 cup of fresh oysters, undrained.
- You need 1 pinch of ground black pepper.
Bring mixture to a boil, stirring often to keep mixture from sticking. When ready to serve, ladle hot stew into bowls, and sprinkle each evenly with. Oyster stew is a Christmas Eve tradition for many families. Saute green onions in butter in a Dutch oven until onions are tender.
Oyster Stew step by step
- Melt the butter in a heavy pot over medium-high heat; stir in the celery and cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes..
- Add the flour and stir, scraping the bottom of pan until flour is lightly toasted, adding garlic halfway..
- Slowly add the milk and cream to the roux, stirring constantly..
- Stir the shallots, parsley, and salt into the mixture. Reduce heat to medium-low; continue cooking and stirring until the mixture bubbles and thickens, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to barely simmer..
- Add the oysters with the liquid from the container to the mixture; cook until the edges of the oysters curl, and slightly thinkened, about 5 minutes more. Be very careful or it will seperate and not thicken but still tastes great. Season with pepper just before serving..
- Serve in bowls and dust with parsley along with French Bread.
Add remaining ingredients to onion mixture. cook over low heat until edges of oysers begin to curl and mixture is hot, but not boiling. The simplicity of this creamy oyster stew will have your guests raving about the divine flavor. Fresh oysters, butter, onion, half and half and some salt and pepper are all you need for this classic stew. This recipe makes the best oyster stew I've ever had. And I love that this is so easy to make on any cold night when the craving hits me!