French Onion Soup. Looking For Yummy French Soup Recipes? Visit Our Website For Tasty Recipes, Now! Melt the stick of butter in a large pot over medium heat.
Add water, wine, and beef broth; heat to boiling. Allow an extra hour. xxxxx yyyyy. Melt butter in a heavy soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. You can have French Onion Soup using 20 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of French Onion Soup
- Prepare of The Stock.
- You need 4 lb of lbs. cracked beef bones/soup bones w/o meat.
- It’s 2 of onions, halved.
- It’s 2 of scrubbed quartered carrots.
- You need 2 of celery stalks.
- It’s of bouquet garni:0.25 tsp. thyme, 1 bay leaf, 6 parsley sprigs, 2 unpeeled garlic cloves, 2 whole cloves.
- You need 10 cups of water.
- You need of For the Onions and Soup.
- You need 1 1/2 lbs of or about 5 cups of thinly sliced yellow onion.
- You need 3 Tbsp of Tbs butter+1 Tbs Oil.
- You need 1 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 of ⁄4 tsp sugar (helps the onions to brown).
- It’s 3 Tbsp of flour.
- You need 1/2 cup of dry white wine.
- You need of The strained Stock.
- You need to taste of salt and pepper.
- You need 2 Tbsp of tbs Cognac, brings the flavors together.
- You need 4 of rounds of hard-toasted french bread.
- Prepare of Grated good Swiss Cheese to cover.
- You need of Cook and assemble.
Place soup pot into the oven with the lid slightly ajar to ensure the onions will brown. French onion soup gets its rich flavor and color from the cooking of the onions. While they simmer, the flavors become intense, making this soup a savory delight. French onion soup is a perfect comfort-food dinner, served with a side of bread for dipping and topped with a decadent layer of cheese.
French Onion Soup step by step
- Heat oven to 450F. Arrange the meat, bones, onions, and carrots in a cast iron pan. Place in the middle portion of the oven and roast for 30-40 minutes, turning occasionally until nicely browned..
- Remove from the oven and drain fat out of roasting pan. Transfer into an 8 or 10 quart soup kettle. Pour a cup or two of the water to the pan, set over heat (or back in the still hot oven). Scrape up all the brown bits at the bottom. Pour all that into the kettle..
- Tie the Bousquet garni in a coffee filter or cheese cloth..
- Cover ingredients with 10 cups water. Bring to a simmer, skim and add the salt, celery and bouquet garni. Simmer the stock for 4 to 5 hours. Strain the stock out of the kettle into a bowl..
- ONIONS, COOKING AND FINAL ASSEMBLY.
- Melt butter, add oil to a large pot. Add sugar and onions, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes..
- Raise heat and cook, stirring often on medium until golden, around 45 minutes.
- Stir in flour, cook for a minute and add stock and wine. Partially cover and simmer gently for one hour..
- Add Cognac, ladle into oven proof soup bowls, add bread slice and cover with cheese..
- Bake at 400 degrees until lightly brown..
This french onion soup recipe is made with perfectly caramelized onions, fresh thyme sprigs, crusty baguette slices and two types of melted cheese right on top!. It is a cold winter in Los Angeles. French Onion Soup is probably one of the most epic soups in this whole wide world. And yet, the soup itself is made with very few core ingredients: butter, onions, flour and stock/broth. French Onion Soup is a classic soup recipe for good reason!