Braised young Kabocha squash 炒嫩南瓜. Japanese Braised Kabocha Squash is an easy delicious side dish that reheats well. Braising vegetables in a dashi-based braising liquid is an easy and delicious way to add flavor to hardy vegetables such as kabocha squash (or other winter squashes), carrots, turnips and other root. Kabocha squash is a type of Japanese pumpkin and it is packed with amazing health benefits!
Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the scallion greens. This braised kabocha squash recipe leads to a super satisfying, healthy, one-pan lunch or side dish. Really easy and relatively quick for a winter squash recipe and the end result will knock your socks off. You can have Braised young Kabocha squash 炒嫩南瓜 using 8 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Braised young Kabocha squash 炒嫩南瓜
- You need 2 cups of thinly sliced kabocha squash.
- You need 4-5 of shishito peppers, sliced.
- You need 1 of small red pepper, sliced.
- It’s 1-2 of garlic cloves, minced.
- You need 2 TSP of cooking wine.
- You need of Hot water.
- It’s to taste of Salt and pepper.
- Prepare 3 Tsp of olive oil.
The tweaks I made were to halve the butter and include a generous pinch pinch of kosher. Braising is one of our favorite ways to bring out the texture and flavor of winter squash. With ginger, garlic, soy, and mirin (rice wine), the Chinese flavors in this braise make for a surprisingly versatile accompaniment to any main dish. Kabocha (/kəˈboʊtʃə/; from Japanese カボチャ, 南瓜) is a type of winter squash, a Japanese variety of the species Cucurbita maxima.
Braised young Kabocha squash 炒嫩南瓜 step by step
- Thinly slice kabocha squash. If seeds are tender enough, keep them..
- Remove pepper seeds and slice them. Mince garlic..
- Saute peppers in olive to release it's aroma for about 20 second. Add garlic and keep stir for 5 more seconds..
- Add squash and sauté for about a minute. Season them with salt and pepper..
- Add wine and hot water to cover them all. Cook on high heat to braise the squash. Add more water if needed. Mine become tender after 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning..
- Serve with rice, porridge, over pasta or in a flat bread..
It is also called kabocha squash or Japanese pumpkin in North America. Nutty and dry like winter squash. Fruit setting similar to summer squash. Dashi Braised Kabocha Squash. by: savorthis. Mix remaining ingredients except cilantro and green onion.