Thai pumpkin and coconut cream soup. Pumpkin soup is high atop my list of winter favorites, and this year I've decided to add a Thai twist to the classic with this healthy recipe for coconut I've traded nutmeg for curry powder and heavy cream for coconut milk. The result is one seriously flavor-packed comfort food with subtle hints of Thai flavors. I'm starting with a favourite, my Thai Pumpkin Soup with Coconut Milk Recipe.
This Thai pumpkin soup is creamy and full of flavour, zest and spice. It's filling enough for a meal or can be paired with shredded or diced chicken or grilled prawns for extra protein. A bit of this, a bit of that, and some coconut cream and I ended up with one of the best pumpkin soups I've ever made. You can cook Thai pumpkin and coconut cream soup using 15 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Thai pumpkin and coconut cream soup
- You need 350 grm of yellow pumpkin (peeled ) cubed.
- It’s 1 tbsp of lemon juice.
- Prepare 5oo ml of chicken stock.
- Prepare 800 ml of coconut cream ( canned).
- It’s 1 cup of basil leaves.
- Prepare to taste of pepper and salt.
- It’s of Ingredients for shrimp paste.
- It’s 125 grm of prawns (shelled and deveined ).
- It’s 10 of shallots ,peeled.
- It’s 1 tbsp of shrimp paste.
- It’s 1 tbsp of red chilli ,minced.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of ginger ,grated.
- Prepare 1 tsp of dark brown sugar.
- You need 1 tbsp of fish sauce.
- You need 1 tbsp of lemon grass stalk, finely chopped.
Add half of the remaining coconut cream. Season with salt and pepper and heat through without allowing the soup to boil. Cut the leaves into threadlike shreds. Ladle the soup into bowls, add the remaining coconut cream, forming a swirl on top of each bowl, and garnish with the lime leaf or zest.
Thai pumpkin and coconut cream soup step by step
- Using a mortar and pestle pound together all the ingredients listed under shrimp paste to form a well mixed paste..
- Toss the pumpkin cubes in lemon juice and keep aside..
- In a heavy bottomed pan add the shrimp paste, coconut cream and 250 ml chicken stock.Whisk well so no lumps remain..
- On medium heat, stirring occasionally, bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce heat and stir to ensure there are no lumps..
- Add pumpkin and cook on low heat until pumpkin is tender but not mushy..
- Add the remaining 250 ml chicken stock, salt,pepper and basil leaves. Stir through and cook for a further 10 minutes..
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Even without added cream, this pumpkin soup takes on a luxuriously velvety texture after it's simmered and pureed. The combination of red curry paste, ginger, and coconut milk result in a Thai-inspired meal. Make sure all the ingredients are very tender so they'll blend together smoothly. Add coconut cream, season with salt, pepper and fish sauce, and heat through without allowing soup to boil. Taste and adjust seasoning, then add lime juice and finely shredded kaffir lime leaves (keep some aside for garnish).