French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup.
You can have French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup using 11 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup
- It’s 6 of large and sweet onions.
- You need 30 ml (1 oz) of extra virgin olive oil (2 tablespoons).
- You need 60 g (2 oz) of butter.
- You need 1 clove of garlic.
- You need 2 (70 oz.) of Liters of meat broth.
- You need 12 slices of baguette bread.
- It’s 3 tablespoons of wheat flour.
- You need 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Prepare of Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste).
- It’s 30 ml (1 oz) of brandy or cognac.
- Prepare 120 g (4 oz) of soft grated cheese (Gruyère type).
French Traditional Recipe Onion Soup step by step
- In this Onion French Soup we must use sweet onions, we will find them in any market. If another type of onion is used but the flavor will no longer be equally soft and sweet.
- Peel the sweet onions and cut them into julienne (lengthwise and thinly sliced). we put them in a bowl..
- We choose a large casserole, heat the oil in the bottom of the casserole. We add butter, which is the true basis of this French soup..
- When it has melted and mixed with the olive oil, add the onions and finely chopped garlic.
- If we have not used sweet onions, add a spoonful of sugar. Sprinkle the flour in the pan and stir gently to mix well. The effect of the flour with the onion and especially the butter is called Roux, it will help us to bind and thicken the soup..
- Add the brandy and let 2 minutes evaporate to the alcohol..
- We introduce the broth that could be meat, vegetables or chicken. Bring all these ingredients to a boil for 15-20 minutes over a very low heat. Cut the bread into thin slices and toast them lightl.
- Onion French Soup, is a liquid soup but it can be transformed into creamy. It adds a little starch that gives a texture between soup and cream. A recipe worthy of both a first course and a main one in a simple and special dinner for cold nights.