Chocolate Sponge Cake (Sokolatopita). Chocolate Sponge Cake – Fluffy, moist and perfectly leveled – this sponge cake recipe is the one to have as it works every time. Prep: Gather your ingredients and measure them before starting. Sift or combine together the flour, cocoa powder, and the baking powder together.
Now, this chocolate sponge cake is a little different from most in that it does not contain flour which makes for a very light and moist cake. I like the texture as it reminds me of the molten chocolate cakes or maybe a baked chocolate mousse. But the downside is that the sponge is quite fragile. You can cook Chocolate Sponge Cake (Sokolatopita) using 13 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Chocolate Sponge Cake (Sokolatopita)
- Prepare of Syrup:.
- You need 1 cup of water.
- It’s 250 grams of Butter.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of Sugar.
- It’s 3/4 cups of Cocoa.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of Cognac (optional).
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of Vanilla powder extract or liquid.
- It’s of Sprinkles (optional).
- It’s of Cake batter:.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cups of All purpose flour.
- Prepare 4 of Eggs.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of Baking powder.
- It’s 1 pinch of Salt.
Mary Berry's moist chocolate sponge cake with rich ganache icing is super easy and deliciously naughty. Spread the tops of each cake with apricot jam. Fill the cakes with half of the icing and spread the remainder on top. Draw large "S" shapes over the cake with a palatte knife to give a swirl.
Chocolate Sponge Cake (Sokolatopita) step by step
- In a large sauce pan melt butter, sugar, cocoa, water..
- In a large bowl add the flour, baking power, salt and eggs. Beat nicely and set aside..
- Before pouring syrup into the batter, set aside 1 small cup of syrup. Pour syrup very slowly and mix..
- Stir cake batter and add in the Vanilla extract..
- Pour in Cognac. Pour batter into a buttered baking pan, and bake for 25 minutes at 180 degrees..
- This cake will not rise like the normal sponge cake, this is a bit flatter, buttt two pieces one on top of the other will absolutely do the trick, as you can see in the picture. 🙂 The cup of syrup that was set aside you can use to pour onto each piece as an added addition, I added sprinkles on this piece 🙂 Hope you enjoy this recipe!!! Kali Orexi!!! 🙂.
Chocolate sponge cake – Light, fluffy & soft chocolate sponge cake that makes a good base for decorated or frosted cakes. Sponge cakes are usually made of eggs, fats, flour & sugar. The eggs are beaten well to give a fluffy, soft & aerated texture to the cake. There are a few different methods used. This classic chocolate sponge cake recipe is so easy to make and just perfect for sharing.