Greek Walnut Cake (Karydopita). Karidopita is the ultimate Greek Walnut Cake, once you've tried it you'll never want another walnut cake recipe again. Karidopita or Karithdopita is a seriously indulgent Greek walnut cake recipe made with cognac, a hint of spice and breadcrumbs which create an uber moist and sexy eating experience 🙂. A mouthwatering Greek walnut cake recipe, scented with the aromas and blends of cinnamon and grounded clove.
Greek Walnut Cake What's A Greek Walnut Sponge Cake? In Greece, we call it Karydopita and it's pronounced more like Kari-th-o-pita. It's a syrup-soaked sponge cake, spiced with cinnamon, ground cloves, and brandy, and loaded with chopped walnuts (inside and on top). You can have Greek Walnut Cake (Karydopita) using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Greek Walnut Cake (Karydopita)
- You need 1/2 cup of Butter.
- Prepare 2 cups of Sugar.
- It’s 8 of Eggs.
- It’s 4 cups of Walnuts.
- Prepare 3 cups of All Purpose Flour.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of Cinnamon.
- You need of Syrup :.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of Sugar.
- It’s 1/3 cup of Cognac.
- It’s 2 cups of Water.
In other words, it's full of what I call Christmas-y flavor because it reminds me so much of our Traditional Christmas. Karydopita (pr. ka-ree-do-pita) is a Greek walnut cake made with lots of walnuts and bathed in a sweet syrup. The word "karydi" (καρύδι) means walnut and "pita" (πίτα) means pie. You do not have to think hard what to do when you have a lot of walnuts.
Greek Walnut Cake (Karydopita) instructions
- In a large bowl add in the sugar, butter, and egg yolks and beat until well combined. In a smaller bowl whisk the egg whites into a smooth meringue. Add half of the meringue into the mix and continue beating, slowly pour the rest of the meringue and whisk until it has become one smooth mixture. Toss in the walnuts, the flour, baking powder, and the rest of the ingredients, and beat until it has become one big mass..
- Tip: Add the baking powder into the flour and mix together before adding into the egg mix. I also add a bit of Cognac in the mixture before baking because it gives the cake a bit more of a taste of Cognac. 🙂.
- Take a buttered pan and add your cake mix and place in the oven at 190 degrees for 1/2 hour. In the meantime, in a small sauce pan add in the water, sugar and cognac, stir and let boil on very low heat..
- Once the cake has been baked, add the syrup and let it sit until the cake as absorbed the syrup. Let it cool for at least 1 hour before serving. You can add whip cream, or ice cream on the side for a twist. 🙂 Kali Orexi! 🙂.
While the cake is baking, prepare the syrup. Lower mixer's speed and add the eggs one at a time, waiting for each addition to become completely incorporated before adding the next. In a bowl combine the walnuts, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, breadcrumbs, flour, and baking powder. This will prevent the walnuts from sinking to the bottom of the cake. Fold in the walnuts gently with a spatula.