Ladokouloura (olive oil cookies) from Skala, Lakonia. Great recipe for Ladokouloura (olive oil cookies) from Skala, Lakonia. Delicious, fluffy and light in taste, olive oil cookies. With a slight hint of spice and orange, they are such a lovely, simple cookie.
In another bowl, combine the olive oil, orange juice, water, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and vanilla extract. Whisk well to incorporate all of the ingredients. Olive oil is a base for many Greek traditional cookies. You can have Ladokouloura (olive oil cookies) from Skala, Lakonia using 10 ingredients and 11 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Ladokouloura (olive oil cookies) from Skala, Lakonia
- It’s 3 cups of olive oil.
- It’s 2 cups of sugar.
- It’s 1/2 cup of cinnamon juice.
- It’s 1/2 cup of fresh orange juice.
- It’s of juice of 1/2 lemon.
- It’s 1 tsp of baking soda.
- It’s 1/4 cup of tsipouro or mastic liqueur or ouzo or cognac.
- You need 1 of and a 1/2 cups sesame seeds, roasted.
- It’s 2 tsp of baking powder.
- You need of flour, as much as it takes (about 1.5 kg).
There are many kinds of these cookies starting with the famous melomakarona (honey cookies), moustokouloura (must cookies), Sousamokouloura (sesame cookies), krasokouloura (wine cookies) and Ladokouloura (meaning olive oil cookies) , each one having a unique taste according to the ingredients added. In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil until blended. Beat in the egg, then honey and lemon extract. Laconiko, a family owned olive oil company of the most internationally Awarded and recognized Greek Extra virgin olive oil based in North America.
Ladokouloura (olive oil cookies) from Skala, Lakonia step by step
- Boil 2 cinnamon sticks for 5΄ and keep 1/2 cup. Let it cool..
- Put the sesame seeds in a frying pan over low heat and roast for a few minutes until golden brown and let them cool..
- Sift the flour and at first mix about 1 kg of it with the baking powder..
- Beat the sugar with the oil thoroughly for 5' until the sugar dissolves and the oil whitens…
- Dissolve the baking soda in the juices (lemon and orange) and add it to the oil..
- Add the cinnamon juice, the tsipouro and the flour (the 1 kg at one go and from the rest, as much as it takes)..
- Don't knead long because they will stiffen and won't get fluffy..
- The dough should be oily and soft..
- Let the dough rest for a while..
- Shape the cookies and dip in the cold sesame seeds..
- Bake for 20-25΄at 160°C until they get light golden brown..
Reinventing how love, passion, commitment, traditions and values can be reflected in the quality of their olive oil. To intensify the flavor, you can increase both the amount of cinnamon and sugar. In addition to making the cookies sweeter, the additional sugar will give the cookies a slightly crunchier texture. Olive oil is not that commonly used in desserts. It has a vivid taste and strong character but it is the main ingredient in these cookies!