Cream puffs. An overly sensitive male that doesn't hold back any feelings or emotions. Wow, he's such a cream puff. Mix together vanilla instant pudding mix, cream and milk.
And guess what: It's not even that hard! These easy Cream Puffs are made from scratch, and taste SO delicious freshly baked from the oven. A simple choux pastry dough is mixed together, then baked and filled with a vanilla pastry cream! You can have Cream puffs using 15 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Cream puffs
- You need of Pastry Cream.
- Prepare 3 of egg yolks.
- You need 300 ml of milk.
- You need 75 g of sugar.
- It’s 1-2 Tbsp of cornstarch.
- Prepare 1 tsp of vanilla essence.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of cointreau.
- It’s of Salt (pinch).
- You need of Cream Puff (makes 12 golf ball size).
- You need 2 of eggs.
- You need 125 ml of water.
- It’s 45 g of butter.
- It’s 80 g of flour.
- Prepare 1 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare of Salt (pinch).
As I was sitting at my kitchen table eating one yesterday, I actually These cream puffs are the ultimate pastry-case dessert to make at home. Cream Puffs begin with a baked shell of choux pastry. Choux pastry or pate choux is an unusual pastry in that it is first cooked on the stove and then baked in the oven. My cream puff shells didn't puff up enough.
Cream puffs instructions
- Separate egg yolks and beat-in sugar and cornstarch until a smooth consistency is formed without any lumps On the side, warm the milk to about 50 degree celcius (be careful to not let it boil).
- Temper the egg-yolk mixture slowly with the warm milk to avoid scrambling Sieve and transfer the mixture back into the pot and stir continuously until thickened and glossy.
- Add-in any flavourings at this point (in my case, it's vanilla essence and some Cointreau for that orange vanilla flavour) Once done, transfer the pastry cream into a bowl, cover with cling wrap and let it sit on the mixture to avoid skinning and allow the mixture to sit in the fridge to cool down.
- Bring water and butter to boil in a pot Combine the flour sugar and salt mixture, pour into the pot and stir until a dough forms.
- Continue stiring and cooking the flour mixture in the pot until a smooth dough forms and films on the pot.
- Remove dough from pot and add-in eggs one at a time, stiring until the dough forms again Repeat until egg finishes and the dough drips in a V shape when the spatula is lifted from the bowl.
- Add-in dough mixture to a piping bag and pipe out the mixture onto a tray lined with parchment paper Pre-heat the oven to 200 degree celcius at this point Smoothen the top with a wet finger and brush the puffs with some egg wash and allow to bake for about 30-35 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and poke a whole to release steam, and bring back to oven and let it cool down with the oven door left ajar.
- Remove pastry cream from the fridge an stir until mixture is smooth Transfer pastry cream into a piping bag and pipe the pastry cream into the cream puffs Dust with icing sugar to serve (if desired).
What am I doing wrong?: Your oven needs to truly be preheated in order for the shells to puff up properly! Inspired by classic cream puffs, this recipe is a wonderful treat. I've served it at Cub Scout banquets, birthday parties and holidays. I'm a regular baker, and this dessert is. These classic homemade Cream Puffs with Basic Cream Chantilly are the perfect treats for any occasion.