Brad's collard greens. Brad's collard greens When I had a garden, I would grow these and can them. This would eliminate the first step and make them a quick and easy side dish. This recipe is for fresh greens.
It gives a nice chunk of smoked pork. How to Make Braised Collard Greens. Place ham hocks, salt pork, onion, bay leaves, red pepper flakes, and sugar in a large pot with the chicken stock. You can have Brad's collard greens using 7 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Brad's collard greens
- Prepare 3 bunches of fresh collard greens.
- Prepare 1 of lg sweet onion, course chopped.
- Prepare 1 lb of bacon ends and pieces, chopped.
- Prepare 2-3 tbs of granulated chicken bouillon, to taste.
- Prepare 1/3 cup of white vinegar.
- Prepare 2 tbs of minced garlic.
- You need 2 tbs of crushed red pepper, optional.
Stir collard greens into the pot, and bring to a boil. Stir collard greens into the pot, and bring to a boil. Season with red wine vinegar and salt and pepper to taste. Spicy, tangy collard greens accented with black pepper bacon, cayenne pepper and vinegar are a big deal in Brazil.
Brad's collard greens step by step
- Rinse greens well. Cut in 1 inch slices perpendicular to the stem. Chop about half of the stems as well..
- Place in a very large soup pot. Add water until 3/4 of the way covered..
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for over an hour. Until stems become tender..
- Add the rest of the ingredients. Simmer for another half hour..
- Serve with a slotted spoon to drain before plating. Serve with garlic toast, or cornbread..
Since bacon fat is an essential part of this recipe don't drain it during any of the steps! I say that if your veggies are fattening then eat a lighter main dish! The sides at Brad's are as good as it gets. We enjoyed the collard greens (best I ever had), hush puppies and mac and cheese. We found out that the owners mother makes the collards and the potato salad.