Strawberry Shortcake with Cornmeal Biscuits. One thing that is uniquely different about this recipe is the addition of cornmeal. The cornmeal adds a slightly crunchy texture and a beautiful golden hue. It's a really fabulous experience to have the slight texture of the biscuits and the smooth creamy whipped cream and strawberries.
Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and sugar in a food processor and process to blend. The cornmeal adds texture to the moist, tender biscuits, while the tart lemon cuts the richness of the cream filling. Add fresh strawberries to the mix, and there's almost nothing better. You can cook Strawberry Shortcake with Cornmeal Biscuits using 14 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Strawberry Shortcake with Cornmeal Biscuits
- Prepare of For the Biscuits.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of yellow cornmeal, fine grind.
- It’s 3 cup of all-purpose flour.
- You need 1 tbsp of baking powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of salt.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of butter, chilled, cubes.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of heavy cream.
- It’s of For the Berries.
- Prepare 3 cup of strawberries, washed, hulled, sliced.
- It’s 1/4 cup of granulated sugar.
- Prepare 1 tsp of lemon juice.
- It’s 1 cup of heavy cream.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of vanilla extract.
Strawberry Shortcake Recipe Ingredients Home > Blog > Bread, Scones, Muffins and Biscuits > Strawberry Shortcakes with Cornmeal Drop Biscuits. Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment and mix for a few seconds to combine. Summer is here, and strawberry shortcake is the perfect way to celebrate. The shortcakes here are bright, lemony cornmeal biscuits.
Strawberry Shortcake with Cornmeal Biscuits step by step
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Mix in butter until mixture has the appearance of coarse meal..
- Add the cream; Stir until a moist dough forms. Knead by hand until the dough is moist and manageable. Place on a floured work table and knead gently for 1 minute..
- Roll dough into a rectangle approximately 6×9 inches and 3/4 inch thick. Cut dough into uniform biscuits and place on lined baking sheet..
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until the biscuits have risen and are lightly brown in color. Let cool slightly..
- Combined strawberries and 3 tablespoons of the sugar. Let stand for 15 minutes at room temperature..
- Crush half the stawberries, adding a little lemon juice; see aside..
- Combine the cream, remaining sugar, and vanilla. Whip to soft peaks..
- Spilt each biscuit in half horizontally..
- Spoon the Berry mixture onto the biscuit bottoms in equal portions. Top with a large dollop of whipped cream. Cover with the top portions of the biscuit, spoon some Berry liquid on top, and serve..
I've always been a fan of lemon and cornmeal together and they make this recipe really exceptional. The cornmeal adds texture to the moist, tender biscuits, while the tart lemon cuts the richness of the cream. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and sea salt in a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine.