Soft shell blue crab. Shipped Fresh from the Chesapeake Bay to Your Door! Get Fresh Crab Shipped To Your Door. Shipped Directly From Maine The soft shell season is traditionally marked by the first full moon in May, when the blue crab begins its molting season to accommodate summer growth.
The crab is then battered in flour, egg, and seasoning, then fried in oil until crispy. The result can be served as an entre', or in a sandwich. When served between bread slices or crackers, the legs stick out on either side, and the entire crab is consumed, legs and all. You can have Soft shell blue crab using 9 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Soft shell blue crab
- It’s of Soft shell blue crab.
- It’s 2 of eggs (room temp).
- Prepare 1 cup of butter milk.
- You need 1 tsp of Cajun season.
- It’s of Salt/ pepper.
- You need 2 cups of self rising flour.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Old Bay seasoning.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt.
- Prepare of Peanut or vegetable oil.
Blue crabs will not stay in the soft-shell stage very long if not removed from the water. It's best to pull the crab from the water and place it on ice to retard the hardening process. Once the hardening process begins, the crab will move into the 'paper shell' stage. Soft Shell Blue Crab ( Mediuim Size) Out of Stock Pin It Product Description: Small in size but big in taste; these blue crabs caught just after molting (before the new shell has had time to harden) are prepared as soft shell crabs.
Soft shell blue crab step by step
- Rinse off blue crab and place on paper towel to drain. Crack both eggs in a bowl and add buttermilk. Add Cajun seasoning and mix. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn on stove to medium heat and allow oil to heat up. Preferably in a cast iron skillet or heavy bottom pan..
- Add flour and remainder of seasoning into paper bag and shake to blend together..
- Add blue crab to flour. Dust off excess and add to egg mixture. Cover completely in egg. Add back to the bag of seasoned flour. Cover entire crab in flour. Add a pinch of flour to see if oil is ready to fry if it’s bubbling when the flour is added, it ready, if not allow oil to continue to heat. You may need to turn the heat up slightly above medium….
- Fry until golden. Take out and drain excess oil on paper towel while you prepare to make your Po boy sandwich.
The crab is then battered in flour, egg and seasoning then fried in oil until crispy. Blue Crab Trading takes pride in our product and strives for satisfaction. When you order Maryland soft shell crab online from Crab Dynasty, you will receive a Chesapeake treasure that is favored by seafood connoisseurs all across the country. We start by placing each blue crab in our own special tanks so that the crab shed their hard shell, leaving a soft, tender body. Eating soft-shell crabs fresh out of the hot oil is key, so have everything you plan to sprinkle on the crabs ready to go.