Quick Bun Rieu (Crab Meat Ball Noodle Soup). This bún riêu recipe is a delicious Vietnamese rice noodle soup highlighting pork and crab, and is also loaded with herbs, veggies, and tofu. My dear friend Be, (who showed Ok, we will talk about that later because today is all about Bun Rieu, Vietnamese Crab Noodle Soup! The main ingredients for the crab mixture is lump crab meat and jared crab paste with soya bean oil.
To cook the noodles, bring a large saucepan of water. Bun Rieu is a noodle soup originated from northern Vietnam made with fresh rice paddy crab, Cua Dong. She brought some home from the market to prepare for her pot of bun rieu. You can cook Quick Bun Rieu (Crab Meat Ball Noodle Soup) using 28 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Quick Bun Rieu (Crab Meat Ball Noodle Soup)
- Prepare of meat balls.
- It’s 1 lb of shrimp (shell, devein and finely chop).
- You need 1 lb of ground pork.
- It’s 2 of eggs, beaten.
- You need 1 tsp of black pepper and salt.
- Prepare 3 of scallion (finely chop).
- Prepare 1 tbsp of red boat fish sauce.
- Prepare 1 can of fresh crab meat (prefer lump).
- Prepare of soup.
- It’s 2 of lemon grass, discard green part. Use white part and cut into 3 inch stalks and bruise.
- You need 2 tbsp of tomato paste.
- It’s 4 of tomatoes, quartered.
- Prepare 2 can of chicken stock (low sodium).
- It’s 1 cup of dried shrimp broth (made by boiling and seeping dried shrimp for 10 min) this is optional as it provides a very intense flavor.
- Prepare 4 cup of water.
- It’s 10 piece of fried tofu.
- Prepare 3 of Shallots chopped finely.
- You need 5 of garlic cloves finely chopped.
- It’s 1 tbsp of fish sauce.
- You need 2 tbsp of avocado oil.
- It’s 2 of bay leaf.
- You need of bowl.
- You need 1 packages of Rice noodles boil until tender and drain.
- Prepare 1 cup of bean sprout.
- Prepare 1 bunch of basil.
- You need 1 cup of chopped cabbage.
- It’s 1 bunch of cilantro.
- It’s 1 of Lime cut into quarters.
BUN RIEU CUA Bun rieu is not commonly seen in the restaurant menu. Almost everybody (Vietnamese or not) knows pho noodles nowadays! Use a ladle or big spoon and spoon the crabmeat mixture into the broth above. Continue to do so until you run out of the crab meat mixture.
Quick Bun Rieu (Crab Meat Ball Noodle Soup) instructions
- Combine all ingredients for the meat ball and set aside..
- In a stock pot sautee Shallot and chopped garlic until aromatic..
- Add tomatoes and lemon grass and sautee until tomatoes are soft. add tomato paste and then bay leaf..
- Pour in chicken stock, fish sauce, shrimp broth, water and bring to a boil for 10 min. Skim off foam from top.
- With two spoons, form small meatballs with crab-shrimp-pork mixture and place into boiling soup.
- Add fried tofu, let boil until meatballs and tofu float to the top.
- Cook rice noodles until tender. Drain water. Place rice noodles in a bowl, arrange meatballs and tofu and garnish with basil, bean sprout, cabbage and cilantro. Squeeze 1 wedge of lime into bowl. Pour in hot soup last..
The "riêu" in bun riêu refers to the crab mixture in the dish. I prefer the crab mixture to be very delicate but I've also seen the soup served with firmer crabcakes. The mixture should be pretty thick, but not firm enough to form into balls. Add the tomatoes and tofu to your broth and bring everything back to a. Bun Rieu is one of my favorite soups to make, because it is so simple and easy to whip up.