You can cook Damson Gin using 5 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Damson Gin
- Prepare 2 lb of Damsons.
- Prepare 2 lb of Caster sugar.
- You need 1 liter of Dry gin.
- You need 1 1/2 liter of Kilner jar or similar.
- It’s 1 1/2 liter of boiling water.
Damson Gin step by step
- Prick each damson with a fork (alternatively freeze for a day then defrost overnight and use once defrosted without pricking).
- Sterilise Kilner jar with boiling water or sterilising agent.
- Layer the damsons and caster sugar into the kilner jar. After each layer has been put in, add enough gin to cover that layer. (Adding the gin gradually ensures you get the full amount of gin in the jar).
- Seal the jar once full and shake until all the sugar its mixed thoroughly. A good 5 minute shake is best. Store in a dark, cool area..
- Each day for the first 3-6 weeks, shake the jar for a couple of minutes..
- Do the above step until the sugar has dissolved completely. At this point, leave the jar in a dark place for 10-12 months..
- After reaching the 10th month, you can start to think about bottling..
- To bottle: sieve out the damsons from the gin and bottle into as many bottles as you like. Ensure bottles are sterile. Cork bottles to preserve the drink. It will last for years and years if left unopened..