Cape Malay Chicken Curry with Yellow Rice. Spice up chicken thighs in a South African curry, packed with flavourful spices and served with a side of sweet, fragrant rice. Cape Malay cooking comes from a community in South Africa with its historic roots in South-east Asia. Cape Malay chicken curry with yellow rice is very famous dish from South Africa.
Home > Recipes > Rice > Cape Chicken Curry with Yellow Rice. Place all ingredients except raisins in a saucepan. Reduce heat to low and cook uncovered until rice is tender. You can cook Cape Malay Chicken Curry with Yellow Rice using 28 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Cape Malay Chicken Curry with Yellow Rice
- It’s of FOR THE CURRY:.
- You need 2 tablespoons of sunflower or rapeseed oil.
- Prepare 1 of large onion, finely chopped.
- You need 4 of large garlic cloves, finely grated.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of finely grated ginger.
- You need 5 of cloves.
- You need 2 teaspoons of turmeric.
- You need 1 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of coriander.
- You need 1 teaspoon of cumin.
- Prepare of seeds from 8 cardamom pods, lightly crushed.
- You need 1 of cinnamon stick, snapped in half.
- Prepare 1 of large red chilli, halved, deseeded and sliced.
- You need 400 g (14 1/10 oz) of can diced tomatoes plus 2 cans water.
- Prepare 2 tablespoons of mango chutney.
- Prepare 1 of chicken stock cube, crumbled.
- You need 12 of bone-in chicken thighs, skin removed.
- You need 500 g (1 1/10 lb) of potatoes, cut into chunks.
- Prepare of small bunch coriander (cilantro) chopped.
- You need of FOR THE YELLOW RICE:.
- Prepare 50 g (1.76 oz) of butter.
- You need 350 g (12 3/10 oz) of basmati rice.
- It’s 50 g (1.76 oz) of raisins.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of golden caster sugar.
- It’s 1 teaspoon of ground turmeric.
- Prepare 1/4 teaspoon of ground white pepper.
- Prepare 1 of cinammon stick, snapped in half.
- Prepare 8 of cardamon pods, lightly crushed.
Remove from the oven when the chicken is cooked through and golden, and the veg is tender. Stir through the basil leaves and serve. This recipe is taken from Hunger for Freedom, the story of food in the life of Nelson Mandela, by Anna Trapido. Yellow curry chicken is simmered in a coconut milk-based broth and served over jasmine rice for an Asian-inspired dinner with a spicy kick.
Cape Malay Chicken Curry with Yellow Rice step by step
- Heat the oil in a large, wide pan. Add the onion and fry for 5 mins until softened, stirring every now and then. Stir in the garlic, ginger and cloves, and cook for 5 mins more, stirring frequently to stop it sticking. Add all the remaining spices and the fresh chilli, stir briefly, then tip in the tomatoes with 2 cans of water, plus the chutney and crumbled stock cube..
- Add the chicken thighs, pushing them under the liquid, then cover the pan and leave to cook for 35 mins. Stir well, add the potatoes and cook uncovered for 15-20 mins more until they are tender. Stir in the coriander/cilantro..
- About 10 mins before you want to serve, make the rice. Put the butter, rice, raisins, sugar and spices in a large pan with 550ml (2 1/3 cups) water and 1/2 tsp salt. Bring to the boil and, when the butter has melted, stir, cover and cook for 10 mins. Turn off the heat and leave undisturbed for 5 mins. Fluff up and serve with the curry..
There is also a layer of sweetness, which gives it a good mix of sweet and hot. Served over jasmine rice added another dimension to the flavor. I must admit that I am not a curry expert. I found this recipe not long ago and thought I can start training myself making curries with this recipe. It is called Cape Malay Chicken Curry. basmati rice. cardamom pods. red chillies. mango chutney. chicken stock cubes. potatoes. golden caster sugar.