Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne. Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne. Packed with flavour and a whole bunch of your favorite ingredients, this may just be the TASTIEST sweet stuffed potato that you will EVER eat! Roast healthy sweet potatoes and stuff the spicy chilli con carne inside.
Packed with flavour and a whole bunch of your favorite ingredients, this may just be the TASTIEST sweet stuffed potato that you will EVER eat! Roast healthy sweet potatoes and stuff the spicy chilli con carne inside. The much-loved dish is given a twist and makes for a deliciously spicy chilli con carne. You can have Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne using 20 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne
- You need 2 pc. of sweet potato, medium (approx 2 x 4 inch each).
- Prepare 1/2 cup of lean ground beef.
- It’s 1 pc. of carrot, small, minced.
- It’s 1/4 cup of pinto beans (cooked and canned, or refried type).
- Prepare 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- You need of Spices.
- You need 1 pc. of bell pepper, small (red or green), finely chopped.
- It’s 1 pc. of onion, small, finely chopped.
- Prepare 2 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1 tsp of salt, adjust according to taste.
- You need 1/8 tsp of ground cumin.
- It’s of Sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1/8 tsp of cayenne or chilli pepper.
- You need 1/8 cup of lemon / lime/ calamansi juice.
- You need Dash of honey, to taste.
- You need 1-2 tbsp of water.
- You need of Optional.
- You need 1/8 tsp of anise seed (optional).
- You need 2 tbsp of shredded mozarella, as garnish (optional).
Poke holes in each sweet potato with a fork, place the potatoes on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. The Best Sweet Potatoes are Steamed, and I Don't Want to Hear About It Fluffy, pudding-like sweet potatoes are even better topped with tahini butter and a generous shake of sesame seeds. When sweet potatoes are close to being cooked through, re-heat leftover chilli con carne. Remove sweet potato from foil parcels.
Steamed sweet potato with chilli con carne instructions
- Drain your cooked pinto beans, and set aside 1/4 cup. Transfer remaining pinto beans on a canister and fill it with water then keep it in fridge for future use. If using canned refried pinto beans just set aside 1/4 cups, and transfer the remaining good stuff on a container and store it in fridge..
- Fill large pot with water (about 6-8 cups), set steamer and place washed root crop. Cover with lid. Turn heat to high. Soon as the water boil, turn heat down to medium. Let root crop steam for 30 minutes. NOTE: A. you don't want a burnt pot 🤭, so check water level every 10 minutes. Add water when necessary. B. boiling root crop reduces its natural sweet flavor, which is why I do not recommend that method. C. If you own a microwave, nuke it for 40 mins..
- While the root crop is steaming, chop your onion, garlic, carrot and bell pepper. Set aside..
- Make the sauce. On a small bowl, mix well all "sauce" ingredients. Set aside..
- Time to stir fry spices: Put pan over high heat, soon as it smokes a bit, turn down heat to medium. Wait for 10 seconds before placing olive oil. Stir fry onion until semi translucent, then mix in minced garlic. Soon as garlic is almost golden brown add in cumin, (anise seed – optional) and bell pepper..
- If spices wafts fragrantly at home this point meant it is time to mix in your minced carrots and lean ground beef. Continue stir frying until beef is cooked. Then add in cooked pinto beans and sauce mix. Stir then let it simmer with lid cover, over low heat for about 2-4 minutes. If the sauce is reduced, just add 1 or 2 tbsp water and let it simmer for additional 30 sec. more or less, uncovered. Your chilli con carne is done..
- Your sweet potato is done after 30mins of steaming. But if you want it extra soft, steam it for another 10-15 minutes..
- Take out the root crop off the steamer. Using a wet, but wringed out hand towel, peel off sweet potato skin to discard it..
- On chopping board, cut one sweet potato in half lenght wise, then transfer on one serving bowl. Blanket sweet potato with the chilli con carne, and top it with freshly shredded mozarella cheese (optional). Repeat this step for the other sweet potato, and serve that other set to your love one or a friend. Enjoy!.
If using large sweet potatoes, cut each one in half lengthways. If using small sweet potatoes, cut a slit lengthways in each, but not all the way through to the bottom. I've used pinto beans here, because I really like them. Add tinned tomatoes, chilli powder and ground cumin – season with pepper. To serve split the potato in half and cover with the chilli.