Date n nut roll. Date Nut Roll Candy is a traditional, Southern candy served during the holidays. This recipe is easy to follow and a family-favorite! Every year for Christmas, my Grandmother Verdie would spend a day in the kitchen making family-favorite candy recipes that had been given to her from my Granddaddy's aunt.
Combine sugar, milk, and butter in a medium saucepan. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Grease your hands and roll the whole date and nut mixture to a cylindrical shape. You can cook Date n nut roll using 6 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Date n nut roll
- Prepare 20 of Pitted dates.
- It’s 20 of Almonds.
- Prepare 20 of Pistachios.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of clarified butter.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of Poppyseeds.
- Prepare 1 tsp of Green Cardamom powder.
Unwrap the roll and cut it into two pieces. Spread desiccated coconut on the butter paper and roll the prepared dates roll on it. Start your own recipe box for your family or friends. Click here to view New and Vintage Recipe Boxes.
Date n nut roll step by step
- Toast poppy seeds on medium/low heat for about 2 minutes. Remove them in a plate for cooling..
- Turn off the heat & the pan is still hot. Put the almonds & pistachios on it to remove moisture..
- Blend the dates to make a paste. Do not worry if it is little coarse. Do not add any water..
- Heat clarified butter in a pan..
- Add dates paste. Cook the paste on medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Turn off heat..
- Add cardamom powder & crushed almonds & pistachios..
- Cocoa powder can also be added in place of cardamom..
- Let the mixture cool down. After it cools slightly mix everything well with hands..
- Make a cylinder out of this mixture..
- Roll this dates cylinder into toasted poppy seeds..
- Dry coconut powder can also be used in place of poppy seeds..
- Keep this cylinder/roll in refrigerator for 30 minutes. After that cut into slices..
- Enjoy healthy homemade sweet..
Once you have your recipe boxes, you will need recipe cards. Date Nut Roll Recipe Place the graham cracker crumbs, marshmallows, dates, and pecans in a mixing bowl and toss to coat everything in the crumbs. Slowly add the cream, a couple of tablespoons at a time, stirring to combine. Another recipe that my wonderful mom made every year for the holidays. I remember a long object rolled up in a kitchen towel, hanging from the clothes line, and this year I found out it was the date nut roll, hung out to dry.