Vietnamese Braised Caramelized Pork with Duck Eggs. Great recipe for Vietnamese Braised Caramelized Pork with Duck Eggs. This dish is from Binh Trung, Chau Thanh in Tien Giang Province. My Auntie Seven learned to cook this dish from her mother.
It consists of large chunks of pork belly and boiled eggs slowly braised in coconut juice. Thit Kho Tau is typically eaten with rice and pickled bean sprouts (Dua Gia) to cut through the fat. My Auntie Seven learned to cook this dish from her mother. You can have Vietnamese Braised Caramelized Pork with Duck Eggs using 8 ingredients and 10 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vietnamese Braised Caramelized Pork with Duck Eggs
- You need 3 kg of pork belly, cut into big cubes and pre-boiled.
- You need 1 of bulb garlic.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of fish sauce.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of seasoning powder/soup base.
- It’s 1 of bowl sugar.
- It’s 100 g of shallots.
- You need 4 of young coconuts.
- Prepare 12 of duck eggs, hard-boiled and peeled.
Every week, she cooks a big pot to welcome her children and grandchildren back home or for her family to eat every day. During the Lunar New Year or death anniversaries of ancestors it is a must to. Vietnamese Caramelized Pork Belly & Eggs or Thit Kho Tau or Thit Kho Trung is a quintessential Vietnamese home-cooked dish. Every Vietnamese childhood includes a steamy bowl of rice, a chunk of pork belly with a gelatinous layer of pork skin, and a whole egg that has been slowly braised in coconut juice.
Vietnamese Braised Caramelized Pork with Duck Eggs instructions
- Finely chop and grind shallots and garlic, then pour ½ cup of fish sauce into the mixture..
- Put a pot on the heat then add 1 big bowl of water, 2 teaspoons of seasoning powder/soup base and 1 bowl of sugar. Bring this liquid to the boil, stirring frequently..
- When the liquid above boils, drop the pork into the pot so the soup stays clear. If this step is done before the boiling, the liquid will not be clear..
- Let it boil 5-10 minutes then add the mixed fish sauce from step 1 into the pot. Do not cover the pot as the liquid will become opaque..
- Wait for another 5-10 minutes then add coconut juice from 4 young coconuts..
- Skim the bubbles off the surface..
- Let it boil for about 15-20 minutes then add 10-12 boiled and peeled duck eggs into the pot. Gently simmer..
- Turn the pork over occasionally so that the meat is cooked through evenly..
- Braise for about 1 hour. The longer you braise the pork, the better taste you will have. If you want the pork to be dark brown, cover the pot with the lid to make the process quicker. If you love spicy tastes, when it’s almost done, add some chillies – the sauce will be a little spicy, the pork will be very tasty..
- Cook in the morning then cool off and divide into sufficient portions to be frozen in the fridge. You can reheat the pork in the afternoon or every day to eat. The pork will be softened and the eggs will turn dark brown. The braised pork can be served with rice, pickled mustard greens or boiled vegetables, cucumbers to have the best taste..
Thit kho is a dish served in almost every Vietnamese home that you won't find at your local Vietnamese restaurant. This is delicious cut of pork belly and pork shoulder is braised in a caramelized sauce along with hard boiled eggs and served with jasmine rice. The braised caramelized pork belly eggs is served with hot rice and a little pickled cucumber or kimchi is the right way to savour. Braised caramelized pork belly eggs with white sticky rice are also very attractive. Good luck with this Vietnamese food recipe.