Eggplant Parmesan. Eggplant slices are dipped in egg and bread crumbs and then baked, instead of fried. The slices are layered with spaghetti sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. Eggplant parmesan is one of those great Italian comfort foods—a layered casserole much like lasagna but with slices of globe eggplant taking the place of pasta.
Growing up, I was not a huge fan of eggplant. This Baked Eggplant Parmesan recipe is lightened up a bit with baked (instead of fried) panko-crusted roasted eggplant, and layered up with a zesty combination of marinara, cheeses and fresh herbs. This Italian-style eggplant Parmesan recipe is lighter than most—it's made with roasted eggplant slices (not fried) and no breading. You can have Eggplant Parmesan using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Eggplant Parmesan
- You need 2-3 of large eggplants, peeled and cut into 1/2" slices. Try to only use the slices with seeds in them.
- Prepare 3 cups of flour.
- You need 4 of eggs, beaten with a splash of water.
- It’s 4 cups of italian seasoned bread crumbs.
- Prepare 2 cups of canola or vegetable oil.
- Prepare of salt.
- Prepare 1 jar of your favorite italian red sauce.
- You need 16 oz of whole milk mozzarella cheese, freshly grated.
- You need 1/2 cup of parmesan cheese, freshly grated.
- Prepare of black pepper.
Sprinkle with salt on both sides of each slice and allow it. One bite of Eggplant Parmesan and you'll be sold. To make legit eggplant parm, you'll need to fry eggplant. And to yield the best results, you're going to want to let it sit for a bit with salt to draw out.
Eggplant Parmesan step by step
- Set up your dipping station. In separate mixing bowls, place your flour, egg, and bread crumbs in a row. Go down the row with each slice, covering with flour, then egg, and finally bread crumbs. Continue until all the eggplant is coated. Pro tip is to keep one hand dry and one wet..
- In a deep frying pan, heat up 1/2" of cooking oil until hot, on medium high. Add 4-5 slices at a time, cooking both sides until golden brown. Layer paper towels over a plate and place salted eggplant onto the plate. Add paper towels to every layer to soak up excess oil. Continue frying all the slices..
- On a 9"x13" pan, add 1/2 cup of sauce to the bottom of the pan. Add one layer of eggplant, a layer of red sauce, and 1/3 of the cheese. Continue layering in eggplant, sauce, and then cheese. On the third and last layer do not add in the mozzarella layer. The last 1/3 of the cheese will be added later..
- Bake covered at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Add the last 1/3 of the mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and fresh cracked pepper on top. Place back in the oven uncovered for 10 minutes, until top layer of cheese is melted..
Eggplant Parmesan is a delicious classic Italian favorite! Tender eggplant is breaded in crispy breadcrumbs, then laid in a delicious bed of marinara sauce, topped with parmesan cheese. What does eggplant parmesan taste like? Eggplant parmesan tastes very similar to regular chicken parmesan. People often wonder what flavor the eggplant itself lends the dish.