Casserole of eggplants stuffed with ground meat – sheikh el mehshi. Great recipe for Casserole of eggplants stuffed with ground meat – sheikh el mehshi. Fried small eggplants are stuffed with a mixture of ground meat, onions and pine nuts then baked in tomato sauce. It is served with vermicelli rice.
Spoon the spiced meat mixture into each eggplant and cover with the remaining tomato sauce. See great recipes for Aubergine Ragout too! In Lebanese cuisine, there is only one sheikh. You can have Casserole of eggplants stuffed with ground meat – sheikh el mehshi using 12 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Casserole of eggplants stuffed with ground meat – sheikh el mehshi
- You need 1 kg of small eggplants.
- Prepare 400 g of coarsely ground beef.
- You need 1 of medium onion, finely chopped.
- You need 2 of large tomatoes, peeled and sliced.
- You need 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, dissolved in 3 cups water.
- It’s 1/4 cup of pine nuts.
- Prepare 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
- It’s 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg powder.
- Prepare 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt.
- Prepare 3/4 cup of vegetable oil, for frying eggplants.
- It’s 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, for frying onions, pine nuts and meat.
After sampling this recipe you will understand why. This hearty eggplant dish can stand on its own as a one-pan meal with a side salad and warmed pita bread. But it won't hurt to serve it as a side dish on special occasions! Saute onion, bell pepper, celery, and garlic.
Casserole of eggplants stuffed with ground meat – sheikh el mehshi step by step
- In a deep skillet, heat the vegetable oil and fry the eggplants on high heat until tender and brown. Remove from oil and place on a kitchen absorbent paper..
- In another skillet fry the chopped onion until golden and tender, add the pine nuts, toss for a few seconds then add the ground meat with the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir until meat is brown. Set aside..
- In a baking tray, place the fried eggplants and make a slit, lengthwise, in the middle of each one. Fill each eggplant with enough ground meat..
- Layer the tomato slices over them and pour the dissolved tomato paste. Make sure the eggplants are covered with water. Sprinkle with salt..
- Bake in the oven on medium heat for around 30 min. Do not allow all liquid to evaporate..
- Serve with vermicelli rice on the side..
- Note: You can find the recipe 'vermicelli rice' under my profile..
Casserole is an easy-to-prep, crowd-pleasing comfort food. Add some eggplant and you've got an insanely good combo. Check out the best in eggplant casserole. Taste of Home has the best eggplant casserole recipes from real cooks like you, featuring reviews, ratings, how-to videos and tips. Eggplant Roll-Ups We love these easy Italian eggplant roll-ups stuffed with creamy ricotta and spinach.