Chicken and Apple Salad. This Crunchy Chicken Salad with Apples is a sweet tart take on classic chicken salad with sweet apples and tart dried cranberries. I made this Chicken and Apple Salad on a total whim today and I'm SO glad I did. It is so delicious that I want to eat it every day for the rest of my life.
Serve this well-seasoned chicken salad in sliced ciabatta bread or similar bread as a sandwich, or serve in lettuce leaves for a lighter luncheon. Leftover grilled chicken breasts are ideal for making this chicken salad in a yogurt based dressing with apples, celery, red onion, and grapes. Whisk vanilla yogurt, salad dressing, and mayonnaise together in a separate bowl; pour over the chicken mixture and stir to coat. You can cook Chicken and Apple Salad using 11 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken and Apple Salad
- Prepare 2 lbs of skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts.
- It’s of salt and pepper.
- You need 1/3 c of and 1 T vegetable oil.
- Prepare 2 T of sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar.
- Prepare 1 T of and 1 tsp Dijon mustard.
- Prepare 1 tsp of honey.
- You need 2 of Gala apples, thinly sliced.
- Prepare 1/2 c of chopped walnuts.
- It’s 1 of small head escarole, torn in pieces.
- You need 2 heads of Belgian endive, trimmed and sliced.
- Prepare 1 c of shredded cheddar cheese.
In a large bowl, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients until blended. Add chicken, apples and onion; toss to coat. Just before serving, place greens on a large serving plate; top with chicken mixture. This chicken salad with apples and cranberries would be yummy on whole wheat crackers or a toasted english muffin or stuffed into a pita too.
Chicken and Apple Salad step by step
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Season chicken with 1 tsp salt and pepper to taste..
- In large oven-proof skillet, heat 1 T oil. Add chicken skin-side down and cook until golden. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until thickest part of meat thermometer reads 165°, about 25 min. Transfer to cutting board and let rest 5 min..
- In large bowl, whisk vinegar, mustard and honey. Gradually add oil..
- Remove chicken from bone and slice. In large bowl, toss lettuce, apples, walnuts and dressing. Top with chicken and cheese..
Cranberry and Apple Chicken Salad Recipe! Put the apples in a wide salad bowl and toss with the lemon juice and honey. Add the grapes, celery, spring onion, lettuce and chicken and toss. To make the dressing, whisk the yoghurt, garlic, vinegar, mustard and dill together and season. Cut the chicken into slices and mix with the remaining salad ingredients and the dressing.