Spanakopita with Feta (Spinach Pie with Feta Cheese). This is an authentic, really rich pie stuffed with spinach, onions, cheeses and herbs that are all enfolded by crispy, flaky phyllo dough. A delicious phyllo pie recipe made with spinach and feta cheese, spanakopita is a classic Greek favorite that can be an appetizer, side dish, or meal. Spanakopita can be made as a "pie" or pita, or as individual phyllo triangles.
I'm not sure if this dish is well known or not, but if you don't know about Greek spinach and feta pie, I am so excited to be the one to tell you all about it. Greek Spinach and Feta Phyllo Pastry Pie. Spanakopita is a Greek pastry made with phyllo dough and a filling of chopped spinach, green onions, dill, eggs and feta cheese. You can have Spanakopita with Feta (Spinach Pie with Feta Cheese) using 15 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Spanakopita with Feta (Spinach Pie with Feta Cheese)
- Prepare 1 of kilo Spinach rinsed.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Dill.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Parsley.
- You need 1/2 cup of Olive Oil.
- It’s 2 of Medium size Onions diced.
- You need 1 of Large Leek chopped (I prefer using Leek).
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of Feta Cheese crumbled.
- It’s 1/2 cup of Short White Grain Rice.
- You need 1 tablespoon of Sugar.
- Prepare 1 package of Phyllo Sheets or 2 Phyllo Dough.
- You need 1 cup of Milk.
- Prepare 3 of Eggs.
- You need 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon (optional).
- Prepare of Salt.
- It’s of Pepper.
Probably the best spanakopita video out there. I've been making spanakopita for years. I finally decided to make a video tutorial on it. Traditional Greek spanakopita (spinach and feta cheese pie) by Greek chef Akis Petretzikis.
Spanakopita with Feta (Spinach Pie with Feta Cheese) step by step
- Take a large sauce pan and saute with olive oil the onions, and or leek, stir for a few minutes and add into the onions the spinach, dill, parsley, rice and stir. Toss in salt, pepper, sugar and cinnamon and let this boil for about 1/2 hour on low heat. Once the mixture is done, take a large bowl pour in the spinach mixture and let this cool off for a while. Add in to cooled of spinach mixture the milk, the eggs, olive oil and feta cheese. Mix and set aside..
- Start to add into a greased baking pan, one oiled brushed sheet at a time. Once half have been placed in the pan, add in the spinach mixture, then fold overhanging phyllo sheets inwards. Continue the process, when you have reached the last sheet brush oil and seal phyllo into pan..
- Baked at 180 degrees and until golden brown. Spanakopita can be eaten either hot or cold..
Spinach, feta cheese, aromatics and youw own homemade phyllo dough! Spanakopita can also be made with other greens, such as dandelion or chard, in place of spinach. Thaw the spinach overnight or in a colander under warm running water. Squeeze out the liquid and skip the pan-wilting step. Authentic Greek Spanakopita – Spinach and Feta Pie.