Spanakopita/ Greek Spinach and Feta Pie. I would definitely suggest straining the spinach mixture before spreading over the phyllo dough. Sharing my favorite take on Greek Spinach and Feta Pie (Spanakopita). Also known as flakey, buttery, phyllo dough spinach pie with cheese.
Serve it with homemade Tzatziki Sauce for dipping. Spanakopita can also be made with other greens, such as dandelion or chard, in place of spinach. Thaw the spinach overnight or in a colander under warm running water. You can have Spanakopita/ Greek Spinach and Feta Pie using 10 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Spanakopita/ Greek Spinach and Feta Pie
- Prepare 10 of scallions.
- It’s 3 lb of spinach, stalks removed and chopped.
- It’s 1 of large onion, diced.
- It’s 1/2 bunch of dill, finely chopped.
- It’s 1 bunch of chopped parsley.
- Prepare 1 lb of feta, crumbled.
- Prepare of salt and pepper.
- You need 3 of eggs, beaten.
- It’s 1 of phyllo dough.
- It’s 1 of olive oil.
Squeeze out the liquid and skip the pan-wilting step. A delicious phyllo pie recipe made with spinach and feta cheese, spanakopita is a classic Greek favorite that can be an appetizer, side dish, or meal. First-generation Greek American, Lynn Livanos Athan has published many recipes. She has culinary school training and teaches Greek cooking.
Spanakopita/ Greek Spinach and Feta Pie instructions
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Rinse spinach well, and blanch for 1 minute. Drain and then squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside in a large bowl..
- Sautée onions and scallions till translucent. Add parsley and dill towards end. Leave for additional few minutes till fragrant. Season with salt and pepper. Beat eggs and crumble the feta..
- Combine spinach with feta, egg, herb/onion mix and mix ingredients well. Brush a baking sheet with oil and roll out phyllo dough. I recommend buying the thicker sheets..
- Spread the spinach filling on top evenly. Cover with second sheet of phyllo. Tuck over hanging phyllo under the bottom sheet. Brush top sheet with oil and sprinkle lightly with water. Bake for approximately one hour..
I've heard that phyllo dough could be found in a gluten free version, but I haven't seen it in the store I get mine from. Spinach and feta are fantastic together. I had a similar thing on Thanksgiving this year but that was using puff pastry! This looks really good Mira, thanks for. Authentic Greek Spanakopita – Spinach and Feta Pie.