Southern Fish Fry. Southern Fried Cat Fish- Classic Southern Fried Catfish dipped in buttermilk and breaded in spicy seasoned cornmeal and fried to perfection. There is an art to the fish fry. And any Southerner who knows good catfish also knows there are three crucial components: the slice Learn how to season this Southern kitchen staple in five easy steps.
While the catfish are frying, prepare some. Classic delicious southern fried fish is lightly seasoned and fried in a pan until golden and crisp. Southern fried whiting fish is so underrated. You can have Southern Fish Fry using 14 ingredients and 12 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Southern Fish Fry
- It’s 5-10 of flounder fillets cut into strips or catfish, any white fish.
- It’s 2 cups of corn meal.
- It’s 2 cups of flour.
- It’s 2 of eggs, beaten.
- It’s 2 tbsp of yellow mustard.
- You need 1/2 cup of hot sauce.
- It’s 2 tbsp of old bay seasoning.
- You need 1 tsp of black pepper.
- It’s 1 tbsp of garlic powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of onion powder.
- You need 1 tbsp of paprika.
- You need of Lemon to serve.
- It’s of Cooking oil.
- Prepare of Hot sauce.
It's like everyone forgot about it. New Pics and Updated Menus added.cmon down today and enjoy the food and hospitallity of Southern Fish Fry on Wealthy!!!! I CAN tell you that this cooking method always turns out crispy, perfectly fried fish that's reminiscent of down-home southern cornmeal-rolled catfish. Perfectly fried, Southern-style catfish — whether cooked at a fish shack, at a Saturday night fish fry, or Catfish seems to have a bad reputation.
Southern Fish Fry instructions
- Rinse fish and pay dry.
- Slice fish in half to get long strips.
- Place fish in large bowl.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat. Not filling more than half way with the oil..
- Mix seasoning blend and set aside.
- In a freezer bag add cornmeal and flour and 2 tbsp of seasoning blend. Mix well..
- Add remaining seasoning blend and hot sauce, eggs and mustard to fish bowl. Mix well..
- Once oil is ready place a few strips of fish into corn/flour and shake well to coat..
- Remove excess flour from fish by lightly shaking when removing it from the bag..
- Place fish in pan and fry for 4-5 mins per side..
- Don't crowd the pan. Repeat until all fish is cooked..
- Drain on napkin. Sprinkle a pinch more Old Bay on the top of fish when they come out (optional) serve with lemon wedges and hot sauce..
Some say it tastes rather fishy while others just say it. I make this southern fried fish recipe often for my family. It's easy to throw together for a weeknight meal or for hosting a group of people. I personally like to use whiting or catfish, but you can use. In the South, a fish fry is typically a community event or something that is thrown for fundraisers, birthdays, weddings, or other large celebrations.