Vegetable Curry with Salted Fish and Pineapple. Vegetable curry with pineapple & coconut milk. Delicious vegetable curry recipe with coconut milk, pineapple, and beans! Add coconut milk, all spices + salt and pepper to taste.
Food writer and chef Romy Gill says…I had the best of both worlds, growing up in Bengal as part of a Punjabi family. Fish and rice is the staple diet of the Bengalis – this dish is not only delicious but comforting and full of flavour, too. Pineapple Curry or Gulai Nenas is often made with shrimps but variations with fish and salted fish do exist. You can cook Vegetable Curry with Salted Fish and Pineapple using 23 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Vegetable Curry with Salted Fish and Pineapple
- Prepare of Curry Paste.
- You need 2 of red onions / 12 shallots.
- Prepare 5 cloves of garlic.
- It’s 1 inch of ginger.
- It’s 1 stalk of lemon grass.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of salt.
- You need 4 tablespoons of fish curry powder.
- You need 1/2 cup of water.
- Prepare of Other Items.
- Prepare of Brinjal.
- You need of Long beans.
- Prepare of Carrots.
- You need of Cabbage.
- Prepare of Pineapple.
- It’s 2 cups of coconut milk.
- Prepare 1 teaspoon of belacan/prawn paste.
- It’s 2 teaspoons of assam/tamarind.
- Prepare 1 cup of water.
- It’s 2 stalks of lemongrass.
- You need 8 of curry leaves.
- You need 2-3 pieces of salted fish.
- Prepare 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Prepare 2 teaspoons of salt.
Although the anglicized term for gulai is also curry, it is distinctly different from curry in that the spice mix for gulai normally consists of fresh chilies, turmeric, lemongrass, belachan (shrimp paste). Aside from rice or noodles, I always like to serve my curries with fresh garnishes. In the case of this Pineapple Coconut Fish Curry I added sesame. Heat oil and fry salted fish bones until fragrant, then dish out and put aside.
Vegetable Curry with Salted Fish and Pineapple step by step
- Chop up vegetables and pineapple..
- Soak belacan and assam in warm water. Blend onions/shallots, garlic, ginger, lemongrass and 1/2 cup water into a paste..
- Mix paste with curry powder and salt..
- Fry salted fish, curry leaves, and lemongrass in oil. Stir in curry paste. Stir in 1 cup coconut milk..
- Stir in vegetables and pineapple. Cover and cook..
- Stir in rest of coconut milk, water, assam, belacan, sugar and salt. Once vegetables are soft and oil gets separated, serve over steamed rice..
Leave the oil in the pan. Combine ingredients A and B together to make a curry paste. Cover the pot and allow to boil for a while. Remove the lid of the pot and add salted fish bones, prawns and pineapple. Stir in the rice, pineapple, cashews, peas, cilantro, raisins, broth, fish sauce, curry, sugar and pepper flakes; heat.