You can cook Authentic Kimchi using 19 ingredients and 13 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Authentic Kimchi
- Prepare 2 head of Chinese cabbage.
- You need 1 of Salt for pickling (5% of the weight of the cabbages).
- You need 1 medium of Daikon radish.
- Prepare 1/2 stalk of The white part of a Japanese leek.
- Prepare 1 bunch of Green onions.
- You need 1 bunch of Chinese chives.
- It’s 1/2 of Onion.
- It’s 1/2 of Asian pear or apple.
- You need 2 head of Garlic.
- You need 1 bag of Ginger.
- It’s 20 cm of piece Kombu.
- Prepare 2 of Scallops.
- Prepare 5 of to 6 Ama-ebi shrimp (with their shells on).
- Prepare 50 grams of Salt-preserved squid (ika no shiokara).
- Prepare 100 grams of The liquid from salt-preserved sardines.
- It’s 1 tbsp of Sugar.
- It’s 100 grams of Dried red chili peppers (coarsely ground).
- It’s 50 grams of Dried red chili peppers (finely shredded).
- Prepare 100 grams of Rice porridge (okayu).
Authentic Kimchi step by step
- Cut the Chinese cabbage heads into quarters, and salt with 5% of their weight in salt the day before you plan to make the kimchi. (Make sure to put plenty of salt on the tougher root ends.) The next day, when moisture has come out of the cabbage and it is immersed in it, drain off the moisture in a colander..
- Make the additional ingredients. Cut the daikon radish into 4 cm long julienne, sprinkle with salt and leave until wilted. Squeeze out the moisture..
- Cut the green onion and Chinese chives into 3 cm long pieces. Cut the leek into 3 cm long pieces and julienne..
- Put the onion, pear, garlic and ginger into a food processor and process until chopped and combined..
- Soak the konbu seaweed in water until softened, and shred finely. Combine with the scallops, ama-ebi shrimp, and the salt-preserved sardine liquid in a food processor. Process until the shrimp shells are completely chopped..
- From this point on protect your hands with gloves. Sprinkle half the chili pepper onto the daikon radish from Step 2, and mix well until it has all turned red..
- Process the salt-preserved squid in a food processor until it's chopped up. Add this to the Step 6 mixture with the sugar, and squeeze and mix together with your hands..
- Add the Step 5 konbu seaweed and the Step 5 scallop-shrimp mixture and mix and rub it all together with your hands..
- Add the chopped up garlic mixture from Step for and mix it in. Add the rest of the chili peppers and rice porridge, and mix well..
- Add the chopped up green onion, leek and Chinese chives. Mix to combine. The seasoning ingredient mix is finished..
- Next, combine the seasoning mix with the Chinese cabbage. If the cabbage is still wet dry it well with paper towels. Push in the seasoning mix between the leaves of the cabbage..
- Roll up the cabbage pieces, wrap each one with the outermost leaves, and it's done..
- Kimchi is a fermented food, so don't eat it right after you make it. It's best after resting in the refrigerator for at least 4 days. Once it tastes right, store it in the partial freezing compartment (almost freezing) of your refrigerator to slow down further fermentation..