Port-Braised Short Ribs. Add the bay leaves, tarragon, and chicken stock and return the short ribs to the pan together with any accumulated juices. Short ribs are the quintessential caveman cut, straight out of Fred Flinstone's larder, with their hunks of rich meat on the bone, looking primal and carnivore-ready. In the past, short ribs have been a favorite meal of mine for another reason, besides their incredibly rich taste: they are inexpensive.
Slow-braised short ribs are one of those things. Take the time to properly brown the meat, as this builds flavor for. Beef short ribs are like the most flavorful, delectable, tender, soft pot roast you can possibly imagine—and the meat is on a handy stick for your eating convenience. You can cook Port-Braised Short Ribs using 13 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Port-Braised Short Ribs
- Prepare 26 of Beef Short Ribs.
- You need of Vegetable Oil.
- Prepare of AP Flour.
- It’s of Salt/Black Pepper.
- You need 4 c of Mirepoix (3 yellow onions, 4 carrots, 4 celery stalks).
- Prepare of Truffle infused EVOO.
- Prepare 3 of Shallots, minced.
- It’s 1 bottle of Port.
- It’s 2 qt of Beef Stock.
- Prepare 2 c of Madeira wine.
- Prepare 4 of Fresh Thyme, sprigs.
- Prepare to taste of Salt/ Black Pepper.
- Prepare 1 Tbsp of Butter.
They'll fall right off the bone. Add wine, port, sugar, cranberries, thyme, bay leaf, and peppercorns. Rinse ribs and pat dry; trim off and discard excess fat. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Port-Braised Short Ribs instructions
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Preheat a large dutch oven with vegetable oil, Enough to coat the pan. Toss the short ribs into the salt and black pepper mix. Shake off excess flour.
- Place short ribs into hot pan, fat sides first, and carmelize all sides. Remove from pan..
- Add the mirepoix, and drizzle in the truffle olive oil. Stir and brown. About 8 minutes..
- Add shallots. Cook 3 minutes..
- Deglaze pan with port, add beef stock, and add the short ribs. Simmer for 10 minutes..
- Add madeira, fresh thyme, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and put it in an oven at 250°F for 4 hrs..
- Remove cover, and ladle 3 oz of the braise sauce into a sauce pan. Turn it to high, and reduce. 2 – 3 minutes. Swirl in 1 T of butter. Spoon over short ribs when plating..
Port-braised Short Ribs with Ginger and Star Anise. We set out to create a reliable recipe that produces tender ribs and flavorful-but not greasy-sauce. Fall-off-the-bone Braised Short Ribs are unbelievably easy to make, cooked in just one pot in a delicious rich sauce, served over creamy mashed potatoes. Salt and pepper the ribs, then dredge them in the flour. In a large Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat until completely crispy and all the fat is rendered.