Sherry Chicken Sub. Sherry wine substitutes can be non-alcoholic or alcoholic, but make sure that the one you choose helps you to retain the original taste of the dish. Cooking sherry can be replaced with sherry wine. Using drinking sherry as a substitute is ideal if you want to reduce salt intake.
Add sherry, mustard, onions, peppers, and garlic. Alternatively, after removing chicken and veggies add a cornstarch slurry to thicken. Good Substitutes for Dry Sherry Dry sherry, a wine fortified with brandy, typically shows up in recipes in small amounts. You can have Sherry Chicken Sub using 12 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sherry Chicken Sub
- It’s 3 C of shredded chicken.
- It’s 1 of baguette; cut into fourths.
- You need 1 C of sherry.
- You need 1 C of chicken stock.
- Prepare 1/2 C of country dijon mustard.
- Prepare 1 T of horseradish per sandwich.
- Prepare 1 of garlic clove; slivered.
- You need 1/2 of avocado; sliced per sandwich.
- You need 1/4 of red onion; julienne.
- You need 1/4 of red bell pepper; julienne.
- You need 1/4 of yellow bell pepper; julienne.
- You need 1 T of mayo per sandwich.
Fortification gives it a little more complexity—and higher alcohol content—than most table wines, so a little goes a long way in recipes. Use this substitute in small amounts. You can mix the vinegar with a teaspoon of vegetable or chicken stock to achieve a similarly complex and rich flavor to dry sherry. In recipes where dry sherry plays a minor part, a dry white wine will similarly add a fruity and acidic flavor to your meal.
Sherry Chicken Sub instructions
- Combine shredded chicken with chicken stock in a sauce pot. Simmer until liquid is reduced by 1/2..
- Add sherry, mustard, onions, peppers, and garlic. Simmer until liquid reduces by 1/2 or until chicken is thoroughly heated. Alternatively, after removing chicken and veggies add a cornstarch slurry to thicken liquid to use as a sauce. (1 T cornstarch whisked into 1/4 C cold water).
- Assemble sandwich with mayonnaise on bottom, chicken and veggies, avocado, and horseradish. Toast in oven or panini press..
- Variations; Vinegar, apple juice, lime, lemon, tomato, arugula, lettuce, spinach, tamarind, soy, worchestershire, shallots, habanero, celery, bacon, basil, parsely, cilantro, scallions, jalapeño, gruyere, parmesean, roasted bell peppers, sourdough, swiss, aioli, cayenne, caramelized onions, pickled veggies, crushed pepper flakes, corn, zucchini,.
In a large skillet, melt butter in oil over medium heat. Place chicken in the pan, and lightly brown. Turn over chicken pieces, and add mushrooms. You may need to find a good substitute for sherry if you don't have a bottle readily on hand, or if you are trying to avoid alcohol. Remember, cooking-grade sherry has a significant amount of salt added to it, so consider a quality dry sherry for lower sodium and added complexity.