Parmigiana di Melanzane (Eggplant Parmesan). But if I had to, my answer would probably be Eggplant Parmesan—parmigiana di melanzane in Italian—the way Angelina used to make it. This is a simple dish to make, but it involves several steps. Allow yourself a good two hours to prepare this dish.
Eggplant Parmesan (Parmigiana di melanzane), is a truly classic Italian dish that has become immensely popular around the world, even spawning other versions of "Parmesan"-style dishes that don't really exist in Italy (or at least not under this name), such as Chicken Parmesan, Veal Parmesan, etc. Make the best Eggplant Parmesan ever with this authentic Parmigiana di Melanzane recipe! This comes straight from my Italian mom's kitchen! You can cook Parmigiana di Melanzane (Eggplant Parmesan) using 18 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Parmigiana di Melanzane (Eggplant Parmesan)
- You need of Sauce.
- Prepare 1 (14.5 oz) of can of crushed tomatoes.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of dry sherry.
- Prepare 1/2 of large onion, diced.
- It’s 4 of garlic cloves, minced.
- Prepare 2 tsp of Italian seasoning.
- You need 1/2 tsp of black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes.
- You need 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1 tsp of anchovy paste.
- It’s 1 1/2 tbsp of vegetable base OR 2 vegetable boullion cubes.
- You need 1 tsp of sugar.
- It’s 2 tsp of olive oil.
- Prepare of Main.
- You need of ~2 lbs eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch slices (2 large globe or 3 – 4 Italian eggplants).
- It’s 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- It’s 4 oz of shredded whole milk mozzarella.
- You need 1 oz of grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
I can't believe I just have one week til Christmas break! Eggplant Parmigiana AKA Eggplant Parmesan or Parmigiana di Melanzane is one of my absolute favourite authentic Italian recipes. The layers of fried eggplant, mozzarella cheese, and parmesan baked together with a simple tomato sauce just tastes like heaven. I've been making this recipe for years now and I seriously never get bored of it.
Parmigiana di Melanzane (Eggplant Parmesan) step by step
- Preheat oven to 450. Cover bottom of two sheet pans with aluminum foil. Coat foil and both sides of each piece of eggplant thoroughly in olive oil. Place eggplant slices into a singe layer across the two sheets..
- Set up oven racks to lower middle and upper middle positions. Put eggplant in oven and roast for 20 minutes, switching the rack position and rotating each pan after 10 minutes for even cooking. Remove and allow to cool at least 10 minutes. Reduce oven to 375..
- While you are roasting the eggplant, start the sauce. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and cook until translucent. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds until fragrant. Add tomato paste, anchovy paste, and vegetable base. Mix in and cook about 30 seconds. Add dry sherry. Cook about 2 minutes. Add tomatoes and all other seasonings. Bring to a simmer and then reduce to medium-low heat. Cover. Cook, stirring occassionally, about 20 minutes..
- Grease an oval or rectangular baking dish well with cooking spray. Place 1/2 cup of sauce into the bottom and spread across the whole bottom. Place a single lawyer of eggplant over the sauce. Add another 1/2 cup of sauce and 1/3 of the cheeses..
- Place another layer of eggplant, 1/2 cup of sauce, and 1/3 of the cheese. Continue with the final layer of eggplant and top with remaining sauce and cheese. Place into the oven, uncovered, and bake for 25 – 30 minutes. Remove and let sit for 10 minutes before serving..
Whenever I need something comforting it's at the top. Eggplant Parmesan (Parmigiana di Melanzane) Soft delicate eggplant with marinara and parmesan. Parmigiana di Melanzane, or Eggplant Parmesan, is a simple but elegant Italian recipe. Our version of this vegetarian dish is lighter than many and includes a Fresh Herb Tomato Sauce that is perfect for using end of season produce! What do you think of when you hear "Eggplant Parmesan"?