Braised beef shanks. I have never cooked beef shanks before. I bought some at the market just because they looked, and were priced nice. Professional Chef's Best Braised Beef Shanks Recipe!
Braised beef shanks are an easy cold weather meal. [Photographs: Daniel Gritzer]. Hefty beef shanks are braised in an ample amount of red wine with carrots and onions until the meat is tender. Dredge shanks in flour, turning to coat. You can cook Braised beef shanks using 20 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Braised beef shanks
- Prepare 2 of bone-in beef shanks.
- Prepare 1 head of garlic, unpeeled and halved along it's equator.
- Prepare 2 sticks of celery, cut into large chunks.
- Prepare 1 of large carrot, cut into large chunks.
- Prepare 2 of bay leaves.
- Prepare 1 handful of thyme sprigs.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of whole black peppercorns.
- It’s 2 tbsp of butter.
- It’s 1 of large onion, chopped.
- It’s 2 of carrots, sliced 1/4 in thick.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- Prepare 3 cloves of garlic, crushed and chopped.
- It’s 1 cup of sherry.
- It’s 1 cup of beef stock.
- You need 2 of medium waxy potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4 in slices.
- You need 1 tbsp of chopped fresh rosemary.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of chopped fresh thyme.
- Prepare 1 handful of green beans, halved.
- You need 1/4 cup of capers.
- Prepare 1 of heap tsp constarch.
Skim off and discard fat from. Braised Beef Shanks with Coconut Milk, Ginger and Cumin. Check out this Braised Beef Shanks recipe from Lake Geneva Country Meats. Beef shanks are one of the most underrated cuts of beef in our book.
Braised beef shanks step by step
- Season the shanks liberally with salt and sear them with a little veg oil in a large pot on high heat. Once the shanks are browned on both sides, add enough cold water to cover. Add the halved head of garlic, celery, carrot, bay leaves, thyme sprigs and peppercorns. Cover and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 2 1/2 hours. Skim any pooled fat and gunk from the surface occasionally..
- Remove the shanks and set them aside to cool. Strain the braising liquid thorough a sieve lined with a coffee filter..
- Add the butter to a medium pot on medium-high heat. Add the onion and sliced carrots and fry 2 minutes. Add the tomato paste and chopped garlic and continue cooking another 2 minutes. Deglaze the pot with the sherry and let simmer until about 3/4 of the sherry has boiled off..
- Strip the meat and any marrow off the shanks and add it to the pot along with the strained braising liquid, beef stock, potatoes, rosemary and thyme. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Add the beans and capers and simmer for 5 minutes more..
- Make a slurry by adding a splash of water to a bowl and adding the cornstarch. Whisk until smooth. Whisk the slurry into the pot and let the stew simmer for a final 5 minutes. Add any extra salt and pepper as needed before serving..
They're super affordable and super tasty. Keto Carnivore Braised Beef Shank + Oven, Crockpot, & Instant pot option. It is a nourishing and affordable low-carb. Braised Beef was a favorite food of mine as a child. After I left college, I lived in a foreign country for a long time.