Paella casserole. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Paella Casserole – Paella is a traditional Spanish rice dish prepared in a large pan outside over an open fire. The ingredients usually include chicken, spicy sausage, vegetables, and seafood.
Through travel, I was fortunate to taste authentic paella, and fell in love with this sassy dish. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. In a large braising pan, render chorizo in oil over low heat, creating a flavored oil. You can have Paella casserole using 22 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Paella casserole
- You need 5 T of butter, softened.
- Prepare 1/2 C of broken thin spaghetti.
- It’s 1 1/2 C of long grain white rice.
- It’s of Generous pinch saffron threads.
- It’s 3-3 1/2 C of chicken stock.
- It’s of Flour, for dredging.
- Prepare 1 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika.
- Prepare 4 of boneless, skinless chicken thighs.
- It’s of Kosher salt and pepper.
- It’s 5 T of olive oil.
- You need 8 oz of chorizo, chopped.
- Prepare 3-4 of garlic cloves, chopped.
- Prepare 1 of medium onion, chopped.
- It’s 1/2 C of plus a splash dry sherry.
- Prepare 1 of 1#, thick center-cut fillet of cod.
- Prepare 1 C of frozen peas, thawed.
- You need 2 T of fresh thyme, chopped.
- Prepare 2 of roasted red bell peppers, chopped.
- You need of Old bay seasonning.
- It’s 1 of # large shrimp, peeled and deveined.
- You need 1 of lemon.
- Prepare 1/2 C of fresh parsley, chopped.
Once rendered, heat the flavored oil to almost smoking and saute onions and. Heat a slow cooker on Low. Add chicken stock, onion, poblano pepper, tomato, garlic, paprika, liquid smoke, and saffron strands. Add chicken thighs and sausage balls and stir again.
Paella casserole step by step
- First, roast bell peppers under broiler- on a cookie sheet, turning occasionally, until all sides are blackened. Put in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let cool. Peel and seed them..
- Preheat oven to 400°. Butter a casserole dish with 2T butter. Heat 2T butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the pasta and toast until golden. Stir in rice and saffron. Add 3C stock and bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook for 17 minutes. Add an extra 1/2C water if the liquid evaporates before the rice is tender. Meanwhile, season some flour with the paprika in a shallow dish, sprinkle the chicken with S&P, dredge in the flour and shake off excess..
- Heat 3T oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until brown and crisp on both sides, 12-15 min. Transfer chicken to paper towel lined plate to rest. Add 1T oil to the skillet, add the chorizo and cook until fat renders, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and onions and cook for 5 minutes. Deglaze with a splash of sherry, stirring and scraping up any brown bits from bottom with wooden spoon..
- Stir in peas, thyme and roasted peppers and immediately remove from heat. Slice the chicken and combine with rice mixture and chorizo–pepper mixture. Transfer to prepared casserole dish. Bake until heated through and the bottom is crisp, 30-40 min. Add about 1/2C stock if the top dries out too much..
- Meanwhile, cover the fish with about 1/2C salt and let stand for 10 minutes. Rinse and pat dry. Season some flour with old bay in a small dish. Lightly dredge the fish in flour and shake off excess. Heat the remaining 1T oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the fish and cook for 5-6 minutes, turning once. Transfer fish to a plate. Add shrimp to skillet and cook 4-5 min. Add lemon juice and 1/2C sherry, then swirl in 1T butter until melted. Add parsley..
- Flake the fish into pieces. Top the casserole with the fish, shrimp and sherry sauce. Divide among the plates and enjoy..
- This casserole can be covered and refrigerated before baking for a make-ahead meal. Quick salting cod with salt gives the fish a firmer texture and more pronounced flavor. (technique of NYC chef).
Paella is one of those dishes that develops even more flavor as it sits, so leftovers are just as delightful—dare I say, even more flavorful—than when the dish is freshly made. Stir in garlic, red pepper flakes, and rice. Stir in saffron threads, bay leaf, parsley, chicken stock, and lemon zest. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium low. We are the UK's number one food brand.