Mushroom Toast. Beloved by British and other Anglophone cooks, mushrooms on toast is a hearty savory dish that can be made quickly It's cheap and delicious if you use ordinary cultivated mushrooms, and suitable for any time of day: breakfast, lunch, tea, dinner or late snack One pound of mushrooms is just right for two servings. Maybe in the case of mushrooms on toast, however, I'll just call it a day and enjoy all three varieties 😉 Twist my rubber arm, lol. This recipe is beyond simple and requires basically a couple of things – cook mushrooms and toast bread (and assemble, of course).
Now it is an easy breakfast, fast lunch, or simple dinner when I just can't be. Garlicky mushrooms with herbs on toast Photograph: martinturzak/Getty Images/iStockphoto In terms of additional flavourings, garlic is key, shallots or onion less so. Mushrooms on toast is a classic British dish, usually served with tea after work or as a light supper. You can have Mushroom Toast using 11 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Mushroom Toast
- You need 1 Tbs of Olive Oil.
- You need 1 Tbs of unsalted butter.
- Prepare 1/4 Cup of finely chopped shallots.
- It’s 1 of # fresh mushrooms, sliced.
- Prepare 1 clove of garlic.
- It’s 2 Tbs of fresh thyme leaves.
- It’s 2 Tbs of sherry.
- It’s 1/4 Cup of Heavy Cream.
- Prepare To Taste of Salt and Pepper.
- Prepare 4 Slices of Sourdough Sandwich Bread.
- Prepare 2 Tbs of finely chopped parsley.
It is perfectly delightful in its simplicity, just sautéed mushrooms with maybe a little onion and parsley, dumped over toast and dug into after a hard day's work. I did play with it a little in this version, which gussies things up with a splash of wine, some crème fraîche and fresh thyme. Mushrooms are a great ingredient for many things but this simple dish does not use anything fancy except butter and seasoning to get the full taste of the mushrooms. Sauteed Mushrooms on toast I have recently added a mushroom soup recipe to the blog, which is another favourite if you are a mushroom lover, like me.
Mushroom Toast step by step
- Brown Shallots over medium heat,with oil and butter 2 Mins..
- Add mushrooms, and cook stirring softly, about 10 Mins..
- Stir in Garlic and Thyme, cook about 30 Secs..
- Raise heat to high, pour in Sherry and deglaze the pan. Pour in cream and cook until thickened, about 1 Min..
- Toast the soundough bread while the Mushrooms simmer, spread the shallot/onion mixture on the toast, sliced in halfs or quarters, garnish with parsley..
Add the shallot, garlic, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Add the butter to the pan followed by the mushrooms. Pile up on the toasts and top with the prosciutto and more parsley. Spread the warm mushroom mixture on the toasts, sprinkle some of the Parmigiano-Reggiano on top, and serve. The mushroom topping can be made several hours ahead and refrigerated, but hold back about half of the crème fraîche.